Why does my phone call digium.com on restart?

I had an occasion to observe network traffic on my system and I noticed that my Digium D40 phone calls URL “phoneservice.digium.com” when the phone restarts.

The phone runs firmware 1_4_0_0_57389. I am running Asterisk 11.2.1 and I am using XML provisioning.

This call to phoneservice.digium.com happens almost immediately after the phone is restarted, and it happens well before the DHCP calls for the Option 66 name of the provisioning server. The communication is using TCP/IP HTTPS (port 443). The data is encrypted and I cannot read it.

My questions are: Why are these calls being made, what is being communicated and will the phone work if there is no access to the outside Internet?

I also observed a repeat of this call to phoneservice.digium.com, after the DHCP calls to get the IP address and Option 66 name of the provisioning server, but before the provision XML file is read into the phone. Is Digium tracking its customers? Is there a way to turn this off?

— Charley

To help us improve the performance of our phone products.

A variety of information. Paragraph 2 of section 2 of the phone EULA has more details. You can get to the EULA either by visiting:

http://[phone ip]/licensing

or at:
store.digium.com/view_agreement.php?id=37
as linked from:
digium.com/en/company/policies

Yes.

We’re collecting information from the phone products so that we can make them better. We have no idea who you are, and we’d like to keep it that way. :smiley:

Negative.

Cheers