Sending sms between 2 cell phones

does anybody know how to send sms from cell to cell phone?

here’s what i’ve tried and it does nothing (sending cell phone says it
cannot deliver message…):

in sip.conf

context=internal
allow = gsm

in extensions.conf

[internal]
exten=>_X.,1,GotoIf($["${CALLERIDNUM}"=“0000”]?sms-me-in,SIP/${EXTEN},1)
exten => 0000,1,Goto(sms-me-out,${CALLERIDNUM},1)

[sms-me-in]
exten => _X.,1,Wait(1)
exten => _X.,n,SMS(me-incoming,a)
exten => _X.,n,System(smsq --process=queue)
exten => _X.,n,Hangup()

[sms-me-out]
exten => _X.,1,Set(CDR(accountcode)=SMS)
exten => _X.,n,Set(smsFrom=${CALLERIDNUM})
exten => _X.,n,SMS(${smsFrom},s,SIP/${EXTEN},${smsText}) ; Generate SMS
exten => _X.,n,SMS(${smsFrom},s) ; Send SMS
exten => _X.,n,Hangup()

is this correct? could somebody help please?

thanks in advance,

It is not intended for use over SIP and will almost certainly not work with a GSM codec (or any other vocoder codec). It is not intended to go anywhere near an air interface on the Asterisk side of the PSTN exchange.

To use it for sending SMS between two cell phones, you need to send the SMS from one via a commercial network to a landline number, attached to Asterisk via a DAHDI interface, extract the message and address information and send it out via another landline to a landline SMS service centre which then transmits it to a commercial mobile phone network and on to the destination phone.

This assumes that all the capabilities needed to relay exist. I haven’t read it in that much detail.

Obviously there is rather little point in doing this as it will generally be cheaper to send the SMS entirely over the mobile networks. I guess there may be countries where mobile networks don’t talk to each other for SMS purposes.

As noted in the help text, it may work over ATAs, with an initial SIP hop, but only if the SIP leg introduces very little delay.

Please don’t ask me about doing this directly over an air interface.