How to setup Asterisk in Windows?

How to setup Asterisk in Windows or is that possible?

I’m new to this Asterisk world.

I operate a Call Center with 10 agents. Currently we are using Eyebeam softphone to make outbound calls via VoIP and SIP account is configured in each computer. I heard that with Asterisk we can configure SIP account in server and each agent can make outbound calls through server.

How to do it?

Also we need to setup a IVR and need the facility for agent to conference a call with IVR to take input from our client.

Preferred option don’t.

Second choice, install Asterisk 1.4 on CentOS, then get familiar with it. Read the differences between that and 1.2, and finally install 1.2.

Please note that 1.2 is past end of life, so you will not get any bugs fixed; I’m not even sure if security problems are being fixed.

Ok, it is important to remember that Windows will never be secure, ever.

The code is compiled as to not be read, no auditing or transparency is possible.

So the result is a perpetual swiss cheese, which is designed to be replaced after a few years, as they squeeze dollars out of people in a zero sum game.

From a security standpoint, letting a Windows server into the server room is a fatal mistake.

If you are part of an inflated IT staff which is needed to administer the cumbersome bloated carcass that is windows, we can see why you would be mistaken.

No worries, there is still time to save the rest of your life and career, get away from windows.

[quote=“david55”]Preferred option don’t.

Second choice, install Asterisk 1.4 on CentOS, then get familiar with it. Read the differences between that and 1.2, and finally install 1.2.

Please note that 1.2 is past end of life, so you will not get any bugs fixed; I’m not even sure if security problems are being fixed.[/quote]

Why use an old Asterisk version. What’s wrong with 1.6 and 1.8 versions that are more current?

Because 1.2 is the most recent version on WIndows and 1.4 is the closest supported version.

1.6 is not really suitable for new starts on Linux/Unix, because it has been declared not to be a long term stable release, and will be end-of-lifed soon. 1.8 is only just out of beta, so is better suited to someone able to cope with a moving target on Unix/Linux. Also, the main source of new user documentation (TFOT) applies to 1.4.