Asterisk Wiki DOWN?

Hello,

I am trying to access Asterisk Wiki (voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk); but it seems that the site is down. It has been a while (3-4 hours now) and the site is still down; hence wanted to make sure whether it is the site or me :smile:.

Thanks
Kanchanjunga (K2)

Looks like it’s down.

Someone is asleep at the wheel. It seems to have been down all day.

Thanks guys; that helps. The wiki has been so useful for a newbie like me but then I guess it has got its moods too :wink:.

It’s been a couple of days now, I hope the site comes back online. I (and may others) would be lost without it!

wooo.

I thought it was blocking my ip :smile:.

Hopefully they remembered to pay their bill

Lets hope it comes back up :smile: what a great resource - atleast we need to get some Mirrors up - maybe Digium can host the voip-info mirror :smile:

Asterisk AND FreePBX (over 2 weeks now) wiki’s are down. This blows. Free or not it’s just not acceptable if you want people to take this stuff seriously!

Its amazing how when it dies people come out left right and center screaming for it back :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I find it odd that when i didn’t need it, it was up and running, but now that i need to reference back to it, the damn thing decides to take a break, frustrating indeed.

Lets just hope they manage to come back online soon.

Cheers,

David.

since when was there an Asterisk wiki ?

now it says that they are having a hardware failure.

I believe he’s referring to www.voip-info.org, which is not an Asterisk wiki, but is a wiki that has tons of info about Asterisk.

It’s primarily a VOIP resource, even though most people here probably just use it for the Asterisk info.

I hope it’s coming back though, it would be a horrible shame to lose a resource like that. I’d be more than happy to offer server space and bandwidth if that’s what’s needed to get it back online.

Does anyone know who was maintaining the site?

there is no emoticon for “irony”. i think we all know what he was referring to.

it’s interesting how the sudden death of the wiki has caused a number of people to either complain about Digium’s non-involvement in the wiki (and it’s community “status”), or the site owners apparent lack of interest in mirror offers.

what’s even more amazing is the number of people that seem to be completely stuck without it … one poster to the mailing lists even saying that without the wiki he won’t sell Asterisk systems.

i couldn’t imagine going to a client’s site and telling them i could do this, do that … and then having to open the wiki to find out how to do the things i’d promised. kind of polarises the "know-it"s and the “heard-about-it”'s.

there is no emoticon for “irony”. i think we all know what he was referring to.

it’s interesting how the sudden death of the wiki has caused a number of people to either complain about Digium’s non-involvement in the wiki (and it’s community “status”), or the site owners apparent lack of interest in mirror offers.

what’s even more amazing is the number of people that seem to be completely stuck without it … one poster to the mailing lists even saying that without the wiki he won’t sell Asterisk systems.

i couldn’t imagine going to a client’s site and telling them i could do this, do that … and then having to open the wiki to find out how to do the things i’d promised. kind of polarises the "know-it"s and the “heard-about-it”'s.[/quote]

Kind of like going into a clients site and telling them you don’t have a manual for the product your selling them? I couldn’t imagine selling a product like that. Think about it!

Well people shouldnt be trying to do something they dont allready know how to do - I use the wiki as a way of testing things and learning, NEVER implementation - THOSE people give asterisk and any OpenSource product a BAD NAME!

Pick up the O’Reilly book or something.

The wiki is a large open forum, not a manual :smile:

The Wiki is an excellent resource for someone learning Asterisk and VOIP. While it’s not going to make you an expert, it’s a great source for referencing commands and syntax.

Correct, i fully agree with this.

The amount of information on there is vast, but none-the-less as Baconbuttie points out to many first comers on here, they should start there first, and he is right in saying so, but maybe people are more Dependant on it then what they first thought since it has been down for so long people are starting to realize just exactly how long it has been down for.

I wonder if i can mirror it, i have hosting space that is barley being used, i just don’t know how much traffic it would require and even if i have enough.

Cheers,

David.

[quote=“danursuline”]Well people shouldnt be trying to do something they dont allready know how to do - I use the wiki as a way of testing things and learning, NEVER implementation - THOSE people give asterisk and any OpenSource product a BAD NAME!

Pick up the O’Reilly book or something.

The wiki is a large open forum, not a manual :smile:[/quote]

Really?

So not being happy the wiki is down automatically means someone is dependent on it?

As others have pointed out it is a large source of reference material. In some cases, it is the only source which is unfortunate.

There IS no “reference” manual for Asterisk but the wiki is about as close as we can get to it, again, unfortunately.

I should not have to point out that when I say “manual” I am not talking about end user “for dummies” type stuff. That is what the O’Reily book is for.

perhaps we’ll see a resurgence in the number of people that read the /configs and /docs directories and use of the CLI and man pages. :question:

For Linux sure, not Asterisk. Again, unfortunately, the wiki has better info about what REALLY works as opposed to how it is supposed to work in theory.