Advice for a beginner

Hey Guys/Girls

I’m a total beginner when it comes to Asterisk! It seems that with my job I’ve been given the responsibility of dealing with day-to-day issues with the software (and it sucks).

Could you perhaps give me some resources that are tailed for an Asterisk noob and explain some troubleshooting. Hopefully I can find something that can give some step by step tutorials on all the things that can cause issues with the software.

Or, could you just reply to this post with what you suggest I check/try when dealing with problems?

Thanks
-Beachboy

[quote=“beachboy”]I’m a total beginner when it comes to Asterisk! It seems that with my job I’ve been given the responsibility of dealing with day-to-day issues with the software [color=#FF0000](and it sucks[/color]).
[/quote]
This is not the way to get people here on your side.

The standard resources are: voip-info.org/

Generally you need to ask specific questions. Asking for complete lists of solutions to all problems won’t work.

Why not?

How did you go about doing things when you first started out?

Or, if I tried to be specific, what could cause Asterisk to have an issue? Could you maybe list a few and then I can take it from there. Know what I mean?

Read the book. Used general background knowledge on telecoms and Unix.

issues.asterisk.org/jira/

Yeah, I don’t know anything about telecoms (I can work my around around bash and stuff but this seems totally different)

If you don’t have experience and are not prepared to put efforts into obtaining them, then hire an outside consultant to fix the broken Asterisk setup.

The current estimate is over 2 million Asterisk servers installed and working perfectly all over the world. So thing again when you say that software is not good. Sometimes the problem is between the chair and the schreen.

both of you have terrible social skills (just a little fyi) but I know that this is the interwebs.