Asterisk and IVR (0800) systems

I have an IVR system, that is a system who answers to 0800 numbers.

This system was built long time ago upon FAX/MODEM cards.

It’s been operating OK for years but it’s demanding an upgrade.

Instead of buying new FAX/MODEM cards I’m planning to migrate it to VOIP.

So, I wanna know :

1. Regarded to the IVR part of a VOIP infrastructure, is there something on what Asterisk would help ? That is, in order to build the IVR part of a VOIP system, where will I need Asterisk ?

2. If so, could I have an Asterisk running for the whole company, say the corporate Asterisk (as if it where the PABX) and ANOTHER copy of Asterisk running on ANOTHER server ?

Why question # 2 ? Because my legacy 0800 system is very, very specific and it runs nowadays on Windows. It would be very difficult to port it to Linux.

So my plan is to have the corporate PABX on a Linux Asterisk and another one, just for the 0800 applications, running on a Windows server (I’ve seen asteriskwin32.com which is a version for Windows).

Finally :

Is this a good plan ?
Would someone else have another architecture in mind ?
As for running Asterisk on Windows, is it OK ?
Another idea ?

You handle it completely by asterisk for the PBX and a HYLAFAX server with IAX softmodems “behind” it. Asterisk is NOT the “fax queen”, but hylafax is. Asterisk is the PBX-queen, both together kick ar…
Thats the setup i am using here.

Absolutely. 3 Servers:
1 Asterisk 0800
1 Asterisk Corpo
1 Hylafax

Well, you need to “re-invent” it anway, when switching to Linux/Hylafax.

Forget that W32 portings, this isnt “Toys-R-Us” here :laughing: :laughing:

Just get up a second Linux/Asterisk, youwont regret it.
You have no time bothering nights and nights with hardware under Win/Linux clones…go the right way from the very beginning (and get annoyed by pure linux problems…lol)

I tell you what, im what you would call a “windows kid”.
I am 40 yrs. old, doing computer stuff since i was 9 (atari…yay, turtlebasic).

I started with linux when i started with asterisk (10 weeks ago).

Really, do yourself a favour and get a stable (no clicky GUI) linux distri (i suggest debian here) and run asterisk and all other protocolservers on them.

YOu define your modems under Hylafax as “daemons” with respawn option.

Yes, these softmodems CAN crash from time to time.
But since you define them as “respawn daemon’s”, they are restarted within 3 milliseconds: No downtime - never ever !

[quote=“RichardHH”]

I started with linux when i started with asterisk (10 weeks ago).

So, what are you using for you 0800 system ? That is, which is the language you’re using on Linux ?

I am using an 0800 system ?
I didnt say :wink:

I built some asterisk environments (im a freelancer) but mainly doing the support for one bigger company.

Its a standard PBX touching many aspects of the asterisk PBX and its abillitys.

Its running on an english debian, but the asterisk soundfiles are all german.

The enduser only sees german stuff, where “see” is “hear” normally.

Esp. Hylafax is in the background, there is nothing to “see” except from the very fax :stuck_out_tongue:

2000 calls , 50-ish extensions load.

I’m very modest here as regarded to the number of lines : only 4 lines !

But it has a lot of features. Very likely you use them all. Just to name a few :

• It receives information from the PABX, via serial port, about the B number. So, the system “knows” before answering the call to what service the A side is calling to. Then each one of the 4 lines may respond to ANY number of different systems.

• Voice/Fax on the same CALL. No need to FLASH it out.

• I receive faxes and turn them into PDF files and send them by email. Callers “dial in” the destination (email) account.

• Voice files are recorded as WAV files on a professional studio.

• “Cut through” : users may interrupt play dialing numbers

• “Echo” of the dialed numbers

• Flash of the 0800 to other extensions

• Also, have a simple method of “screen pop”. When I flash out, I “push” information from the call to the outside.

• Number of “A” (caller id) is grabbed from the PABX as well and carried along.

Know these all ?

[quote=“jabaltie”]I’m very modest here as regarded to the number of lines : only 4 lines !

But it has a lot of features. Very likely you use them all. Just to name a few :

• It receives information from the PABX, via serial port, about the B number. So, the system “knows” before answering the call to what service the A side is calling to. Then each one of the 4 lines may respond to ANY number of different systems.

• Voice/Fax on the same CALL. No need to FLASH it out.

• I receive faxes and turn them into PDF files and send them by email. Callers “dial in” the destination (email) account.

• Voice files are recorded as WAV files on a professional studio.

• “Cut through” : users may interrupt play dialing numbers

• “Echo” of the dialed numbers

• Flash of the 0800 to other extensions

• Also, have a simple method of “screen pop”. When I flash out, I “push” information from the call to the outside.

• Number of “A” (caller id) is grabbed from the PABX as well and carried along.

Know these all ?[/quote]

Yes, and honestly - that is a piece of cake with asterisk, no kidding.