Upgrading from v1.8 to v11

I recently began working at a small ISP and we are currently running multiple Asterisk servers running on CentOS. We would like to upgrade one of our non-production servers from v1.8 to the newest release of v11 which I believe is v11.7 at the time of writing this.

I have never installed or upgraded an Asterisk installation before and have been unsuccessful at finding any helpful articles or documentation that can assist me with this upgrade.

Anyone out there have any suggestions or information that can assist me in performing this upgrade?

I have instructions on performing a new installation of v11, but I am not sure if that will actually upgrade the current version or just install a new one along with the old one.

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated. I will continue searching the web in the mean time.

Thanks in advance.

Brian West
Eastern Shore Communications

Howdy,

If you’re using Asterisk, just Asterisk, then you should look at the upgrade notes; they’re in the tarball, but you could also see them on the SVN viewer at:

svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/ … iew=markup
for the 1.8 to 10 upgrade stuff and
svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/ … iew=markup
for the 10 to 11 upgrade stuff.

If you’re using a GUI on top of Asterisk, then you shouldn’t upgrade the underlying Asterisk without following the GUI’s instructions for doing so.

Cheers

[quote]
I have never installed or upgraded an Asterisk installation before and have been unsuccessful at finding any helpful articles or documentation that can assist me with this upgrade.[/quote]

My suggestion is install Asterisk from scratch, due that you don’t have any experience with Asterisk. This will help you to gain the knowledge that you need to move forward on the future.

Here you have a video tutorial :
blogs.digium.com/2012/11/05/how- … -centos-6/

by Billy Chia