Softphone Won't Register with Asterisk

I’ve got Asterisk set up with an extension #6000.
I have UDP ports 5060-5082 and 10000-20000 open through the firewall to the machine on which Asterisk is running.

I set up a softphone with SIP port set to 5060 and RTP port set to 10000. The Username is 6000 and the correct password for Extension #6000 is entered. The correct IP Address is entered for accessing the Asterisk computer.

The softphone will not register with Asterisk.

Any ideas?

John

I just realized that this is in the wrong section of the board…sorry.

John

I don’t know why you need to perform ports forwarding. I have my asterisk run on a LaFonera WiFi router with OpenWRT firmware behind a NAT/Firewall router without any ports forwarding and all extensions along with lots of VoIP channels just work fine.

What do both show sip register and show sip peers show? You may want to post your configurations here if you really want readers to help you out. Without looking at your configurations, it is almost impossible to know the problem, let alone advise you with some good solutions. Read the FAQ and learn how to post. :smiley:

JRayfield,

Please help us know how to help you by posting the relevant portions of your sip.conf configuration file, and any relevant messages that show up in the Asterisk command-line interface.

Personally, I usually find the command-line interface to be the most helpful. Log into the CLI, and type “core set verbose 9” and then “core set debug 9” and then stop and re-start your soft phone. If the soft phone is communicating with Asterisk at all, you should see a message on the CLI indicating why Asterisk is not accepting the registration. (When you’re done at the CLI, you can type “core set verbose 3” and “core set debug 0” to set the verbosity and debug levels back to appropriate values.)

Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager
Digium, Inc.

Thank you Jared. I did get the problem resolved.

Since I do have your attention…What happened to the Advanced Menu in the GUI?

John

I have no idea. To be frankly honest, I don’t keep up on the Asterisk GUI that’s included in AsteriskNOW – I’m a command-line commando myself. Maybe someone else in the forums here knows.

I don’t believe GUI is part of an asterisk distribution, at least not for now, yet. As jsmith already mentioned in his post, the asterisk command-line interface (CLI) is the most helpful to diagnose an asterisk system. If you stick with GUI, you will learn less and perhaps nothing at all. To really learn asterisk, stick to its CLI and perhaps this Asterisk: The future of Telephony 2nd Edition book will help too.

Well, I agree that the best way to learn something is to ‘dig into it’, which means that if there is a GUI, that usually ‘hides’ some of the internal workings.

But, there most certainly IS a GUI for Asterisk, from Digium…it’s in the package called AsteriskNow.

John

Yes, I know there’s a GUI for Asterisk, built by Digium. I even wrote about it in the book. I’m just saying that I don’t keep up with it. My attitude is that the CLI is great for those who are willing to dive into the internals, and the GUI is great for those who don’t care about the internals, and just want to get stuff done.

Sorry Jared. I was responding to Mazilo. You must not have seen his comment regarding the GUI.

I would like to see a bit more functions in the GUI, but I realize that there has to be a ‘stopping point’ somewhere, or the GUI will become VERY ‘unfriendly’ for new users.

I just thought of something…I use some software from Motorola that has a Basic Mode and an Expert Mode. In the Basic Mode, only the basic functions are shown and in the Expert Mode, all functions are shown. That would be a good way to handle new users and more advanced users. Of course, for “Power Users” (like you ), the command line and config files are always there. :smile:

John

I know what you meant and am aware of the existence of GUI packages for asterisk; however, asterisk itself doesn’t have a GUI and it is merely plain CLI. I, too, once used triXBOX, but ended up ditching it because I wouldn’t learn the inside-out of asterisk. With the book I mentioned above and asterisk CLI, I have learnt a lot on how to configure as well as crafting dial-plan contexts for my asterisk system. If you really want to know asterisk, learn/read the book and use CLI.