Asterisk GUI question

Hi, I have installed Asterisk 1.4.0 on Fedora Core 6 (including libpri, zaptel, and running make samples). I want to run Asterisk just within our house using soft phones to let us call from one PC to another.

I installed the Asterisk GUI, editing the http.conf file as directed. I can point my browser to the GUI URL and log in, but my basic question is: can I do everything through the GUI I need to get Asterisk configured for this simple setup?

The reason why I ask is that I can create users through the GUI, but I don’t know if I still have to edit the sip.conf or extensions.conf manually before being able to dial each other.

If I start up a soft phone such as x-lite and try to dial in to the Asterisk server, then on the phone I see a Registration error- 404 not found, and on the Asterisk console, I see Unable to create channel of Type SIP (Cause 3 - no route to destination).

Apologies if this is a dumb question - I just want to understand first what I can do through the GUI and what has to be done manually. Thanks for any help, Martin

The error you are getting seems to be that the phone isnt logged in or something is miss spelled ( this what i am asuming). Now I have not use the GUI so I cant say for sure what the problem. I would recomend to learn how tode asterisk by hand. You can do a lot more. Have a look at the book: Asterisk: The future of Telephony. It has a lot of examples and guide you thru a lot of the basic setup.

h6315.com/ast_book