[RESOLVED] Cisco 7960 on Asterisk for a complete moron

I have a 7960 phone.

Currently installed firmware:
POS30201
PCO30300

I have a tftp server running making an attempt to sort out all this mess, but thus far have been unable to do much with the phone.

I have a working asterisk @ home box running and have softphones working with it and 1 land line, and that seems smooth, would love to get this 7960 sorted out so I can ditch some of the softphones.

I’ve seen several cheat sheets on how to do this, but I’m obviously missing somthing important.

When attempting to dial on the 7960, I get:

a real world px does not let me completely dial all 10 digits, and goes to a Network error (in 503)

an in house ext call (ie to ext 200 softphone) I get Network error (in 503)

With sip debug on, booting the phone, I get

Sending to 10.0.1.36 : 5060 (non-NAT)
Transmitting (no NAT) to 10.0.1.36:5600
SIP/2.0 403 Forbidden (is this bad, and what exactly caused it)
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.0.1.36:5060
everything else looks std as a reg softphone.

Would love to be told I’m a moron and I’ve missed somthing small, but…

I have a cisco login so I can download whatever I need, but as this phone already has the SIP code in it, I’m guessing I dont need to change anything. What am I missing?

Thanks!

rob

I’d start with an upgrade to the firmware. I think 7.x is the current version.

After being HIGHLY frustrated in my attempts to get the firmware updated, I created a page - check the Cisco section at georgefriend.com/ .

Hope it helps.

Well, another roadblock.

I’ve searched the Cisco site for files, and I am unable to find these:

P00307020200.bin
P00307020200.loads
P00307020200.sb2
P00307020200.sbn

Though I do have the newer P0S3-07-4-00.* files Is there any place special I should look to find them? I dont even see a ver as 3.07 listed anywhere

Cisco does NOT publish their firmware online.

You may only obtain the firmware by purchasing a maintenance contract.

A friend tried to get such a maintenance contract for his single phone, but it was so much trouble, he finally gave up. After a bit of searching, he managed to buy a copy online on Ebay. I’d go that route.

voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?pag … cisco+79xx

So what am I downloading when I download a file with a description of:

“SIP Flash Image 7940/7960 IP Phone” ?

I can’t answer that question because I don’t know what your downloading.

Care to share the weblink?

This is where I was finding files.

cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild … -phone7960

That link tells me you have access to the Cisco website through a maintenance agreement. (see my message above)

If your problem is you can’t find things on the Cisco website, this is probably not the forum to ask for help.

If you’re looking for help with Cisco phone / Asterisk setup, please read this over carefully.

It contains sample SIPXXXXX.cnf and sip.conf file entries to get you started.

This converstaion didnt start asking how to upgrade the firmware of the 7960, but its at that point right now. As it should be obvious, I DO have a maintenance agreement. My conversation was mainly in reply to the link sent by “friendge” of the georgefriend.com link that was sent with a walkthrough of what I was trying to do. The 7960 DID work with a Cisco 5300 gateway, but I’m trying to make it work with Asterisk, so I’m assuming this IS the best place to sort that out.

The 7960 has now taken more of my time than the cost of 3 ip phones, but since I do have it, I would like to use it. If it takes any more time, its going back in the box and I’ll buy somthing else more user friendly that doesnt require a PHD to configure.

[quote=“dufus”]That link tells me you have access to the Cisco website through a maintenance agreement. (see my message above)

If your problem is you can’t find things on the Cisco website, this is probably not the forum to ask for help.

If you’re looking for help with Cisco phone / Asterisk setup, please read this over carefully.

It contains sample SIPXXXXX.cnf and sip.conf file entries to get you started.[/quote]

Ok, an update. Since tonight was reruns on SciFi channel, I sat down and sorted more of this out.

While I was under the impression that the OS79XX.txt file was what controlled what ver of firmware was being updated, I was WRONG. As far as I can tell, it has no bearing on whats going on, at least for me. The line in SIPDefault.cnf, now "image_version: “P0S3-07-4-00” " was more important.

It also turns out that I had the oldest possible ver of the firmware, so I was forced to take baby steps in the upgrades, the most notable being the step from 4.4 to 5.0 which moved us to signed binaries. careful steps there, as once you go to 5.0, you CANT go back

So now after a couple hours of playing and watching the TFTP server screen, I’m upgraded, and now ready to plug in this phone to the Asterisk subnet.

Plugged it in, turned it on. and, in the words of Paul Jr, “Yatzee”