Remove call forward entered from the soft key on phone

If a user uses the forward soft key on the phone, how can I see that they have done so through the admin website / remove it remotely? If I restart the phone the forward on the phone goes away, but there is no nice way to do that from the web.

There is insufficient information here. However, I would note that anything do do with managing soft keys on phones is outside the scope of Asterisk.

If this is a question that’s specific to Digium phones, where I fully agree with @david551 's comment about there being insufficient information, I’ll affirm that the call forward application on the phone operates independently of the server.

Phone-side call forwarding is a poor substitute for server-side forwarding. If it is a Digium phone, we’d recommend using the various Status options instead, and setting up a custom status (if necessary) and a calling rule (necessary) to send the calls where you’d like them to go, in lieu of using the phone’s forward application.

I apologize if you felt that there was insufficient information, but what I had asked was very basic. As I had asked, I wanted to know if there was a way to see and turn off forwarding on a phone that was forwarded from the soft key. You may feel that it is a poor substitute for server-side forwarding, and I would agree… however I do not see a way to disable the forwarding softkey on the phone. Removing forward permissions does not disable the key. What would you suggest.

If it’s a Digium phone connected to Switchvox, then from within the Switchvox admin tool, when editing the SIP Extension, on the Permissions tab, in the Use Digium Phone Apps dropdown, the “Forward Calls” permission controls both the display of the Forwarding application on the apps menu as well as the presence of the Forward softkey that’s on the phone’s idle screen softkey mapping (press “More…” twice to get to it).

If it’s a Digium phone connected to DPMA, then the can_foward_calls phone option controls both the display of the Forwarding application on the apps menu as well as that same softkey I mentioned above.

If it’s a Digium phone configured via XML, then you’ll want to first remove the forward_calls application from the appmenu configuration, e.g. change:

<config>
    <appconfig id="appscreen" >                                                                                          
        <application id="contacts" />                                                                                 
        <application id="call_log" />
        <application id="forward_calls" />
        <auto_start />
    </appconfig> 
</config>

to:

<config>
    <appconfig id="appscreen" >                                                                                          
        <application id="contacts" />                                                                                 
        <application id="call_log" />
        <auto_start />
    </appconfig> 
</config>

Then you’ll want to change the keymapping for the idle state, e.g. change:

<config>
    <keymap>
        <state id="idle" conflict="replace">                
            <softkeys>
                <key id="0" action="missed_or_call_log"/>                            
                <key id="1" action="show_application" label1="_CONTACTS">
                    <arg>contacts</arg>
                </key>
                <key id="2" action="status"/>
                <key id="3" action="info"/>                            
                <key id="4" action="forward_calls" label1="_FORWARD"/>                            
                <key id="5" action="menu"/>                            
            </softkeys>
        </state>
    </keymap>
</config>

to:

<config>
    <keymap>
        <state id="idle" conflict="replace">                
            <softkeys>
                <key id="0" action="missed_or_call_log"/>                            
                <key id="1" action="show_application" label1="_CONTACTS">
                    <arg>contacts</arg>
                </key>
                <key id="2" action="status"/>
                <key id="3" action="info"/>                            
                <key id="4" action="menu"/>                            
            </softkeys>
        </state>
    </keymap>
</config>

If it’s a Digium phone configured via the phone’s web interface or via the phone’s UI, then removal of the forwarding application and manipulation of the idle state keymapping isn’t possible - those configuration interfaces don’t allow such manipulation.

If it’s anyone else’s phone, then I’m afraid I can’t help.

1 Like