PBX with no hardware

I’m looking at a new phone system for my company. I would very much like to use Asterisk PBX. As of now I don’t have a budget for any hardware. What I would like to is setup Asterisk on a spare box and use a Voip client to connect to it.

I’m curious if anyone has done this. I’ve made an initial effort, but I believe it was hampered because I’m running Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

In all my installations I used sip hardphones but there should be no problem using softphones, I used some just for testing; sorry but I can’t help you with mac os as I installed Asterisk just on opensuse or fedora linux.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

Hi,

I have installed succesfully Asterisk on mac os x. But i suggest to yuo to upgrade to 10.4.10 tiger. Then install also xcode or develop tools.

It works quiet well, i also have been able to install astersik gui, if your are interested in it. And i’m working on freepbx on tiger\leopard, quite complicated but it can be done.

So you can do on mac. Both ppc and intel. If you have intel, you can also think about vmware and linux. It depends on your needs.

Let me know.
cheers
smaikol

Well it is good to know that is possible. I was wondering if all the ends were going to meet up.

I appreciate the replies. I’m going to make a more concerted effort to get this working next week.