No Sound after new install

I have a Fedora Core 5 box running the latest stable asterisk as follows:

Asterisk 1.2.12.1
Libpri 1.2.3
Zaptel 1.2.9.1
No T-1 card or other hardware that would be used by zaptel

X-Lite Softphone connecting via sip

I am new to Asterisk so I am going through the documentation setting up an extension to play a sound and hangup. I believe the extension is working properly, however, no sound can be heard on the handset. I have found several posts suggesting that this has something to do with zaptel. I have been able to make calls to others (also using a softphone connected via sip), and everything appears to work fine.

Do I need to have a card (T-1 or otherwise) in order for this to work? Has anyone gotten this to work without a card?

Thank you in advance.

foozball

show us an extension you’re using to play a soundfile to the caller. or have you only tried phone-phone ? if so, are these phones on the same network as Asterisk or are you traversing a NAT ?

what codecs are you specifying ?

AFAIK you need a timing device for Asterisk functions like MoH and Meetme. is ztdummy being loaded ? if not, does loading it make a difference ?

post more info to get something meaningful back … including a logfile for a silent call.

Here are the extensions I have. All phones and the asterisk box are on the same network (no nat). I have added “allow=ulaw” to the sip config on both phones. ztdummy is loaded and running (lsmod below).

As I mentioned I am new to asterisk so some instructions on how to generate (or find) the log file and silent call would be helpful.

Thank you for the quick response.

[incoming]
exten => 2107,1,Answer()
exten => 2107,2,Playback(hello-world)
exten => 2107,3,Hangup()
exten => 2558,1,Dial(SIP/phone1)
exten => 2517,1,Dial(SIP/phone2)

… lsmod | grep ztdummy
ztdummy 8072 0
zaptel 208388 13 ztdummy,wcusb,wctdm,wcfxo,wctdm24xxp,wcte11xp,wct1xxp,wct4xxp,tor2

/var/log/asterisk is a good place to look.

still need the configs for the phones, a single line is not it.

I found the issue. I have a stateful firewall on the computer running the softphone. After disabling the fw I can hear sound. A non-stateful firewall does not cause this issue.

Thanks for your help.

foozball