Newbie Install question

Our voicemail system died yesterday, which led me to install Asterisk. I’ve wanted to try it out for a while, so it was kind of a blessing in disguise. I am an IT guy who is not all that experienced with telephony. Here’s my question:

Our phone system is an older Merlin Legend running on a T1 line. It appears that we currently have four analog ports on the existing voicemail system which connect to the Legend. I am trying to install a new voicemail box as quickly as possible, so I am wondering if anyone knows what sort of card I should be looking at to connect the voicemail server to the Merlin? I downloaded and installed AsteriskNow, but am at a bit of a standstill until I discover what I need to connect the two systems.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jared

Does the Merlin system do IP?

Cheers!
Dave

No the Legend doesnt do IP.
But a quick google search shows…
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … ntegration

I have integrated the Avaya Partner system to Asterisk and it works pretty well, I had to use a perl script to turn on and off the lights.

Good Luck!

Could you just use the analogue extensions coming from the merlin as the input the Asterisk server? Might be easier to setup that T1.

Most old voice mails and small phone systems work like that.

Yes, I bought a four port analog card and am planning on connecting the Asterisk voicemail server to the Merlin using the existing analog connections it had to the old voicemail system. Unfortunately, that’s about as far as I’ve come so far. Still trying to figure out what sort of configuration I need to do on each end.

-Jared