Maximum Simultaneous Queue Calls On Single Extension

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if the following is even possible. I did a lot of research and couldn’t find anything useful.

I recently got a request from a customer (don’t use ring group but use a queue, only 1 agent, 1 SIP phone, 1 IPBX with Asterisk embedded, 1 SIP trunk with 1 phone number and 4 simultaneous calls max). He would like to setup a queue to ring busy members (he is the only agent in the queue) and that he can have up to 4 calls on a single phone extension.

I noticed the following:
Call 1 --> Ext 1000
Call 2 --> Ext 1000
Call 3 --> Will sit in the queue until one of the previous calls is hanged up
Call 4 --> Will sit in the queue until one of the previous calls is hanged up

I would like all 4 calls to go to Ext 1000, but it seems when the call comes from a queue, it can only connect an extension 2 times.

Is there a way to tell Asterisk to send up to 4 queue calls to one and the same extension?

Thank you

You can only queue on devices, not extensions.

If you allow calls to inuse devices, the queuing system will have to make the call and have it fail, so it is a lot more expensive in processing. However, there is no in built limit to the queue length.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I know that you can only queue on devices, regardless of the number of extensions on the device.

With that in mind, is what I asked (to send up to 4 queue calls to one and the same device) even possible in some way ?

Thanks in advance.

There is no architectural limit on the length of a queue and certainly no requirement that there be as many members as queued calls.

If a device can accept multiple calls, and you want more than one to be presented from a queue, you need to set ringinuse to true. This can significantly increase the processor load. In some cases, it may result in calls being presented out of sequence.

1 Like

The problem is, ringinuse is already set to true and only 2 queue calls can ring a device which could accept up to 6 concurrent calls.

Even if these 2 first calls are picked up and then put on wait, a 3rd call (which is waiting in the queue) is not sent to the device.

Do you see what I mean ? (sorry for my English, I’m French)

Is this even possible ?

I think the queue application treats ringing as busy, so if the second call is left as ringing, there may well not be any more calls offered.

Treating ringing as busy certainly makes sense, as, otherwise, you could load up the device with lots of calls than then fail, but have missed their turn for other devices.

1 Like

Ok, but let’s say :
-My customer has a SIP Trunk with 4 channels (4 concurrent calls max)
-The queue can have only 4 waiting calls due to the SIP Trunk limitation
-He has Asterisk (with FreePBX for exemple)
-He has a SIP desktop phone (“device”)
-This device can manage up to 6 concurrent calls

If even possible, how can Asterisk present to the device all 4 simultaneous queue calls on 4 different lines on the only one device used by my customer (kind of like when set up with ring group instead of queue) ?

Thanks

I think you could use Local channels as member of the queue all poiting to the same device who has the 6 lines

Ok, I will try that next week.

Thanks