How to configure softphone client to Asterisk behind Router?

Sorry if this is a simple question for you.

I just setup a Asterisk box and my connection to internet is DSL using a Linksys router. My question is do I have to do anything on the router and what IP should use for softphone client?

The problem you are experiencing goes under the heading of “NAT traversal”.

You will need to:

1. Set up a static IP address for you softphone in the Linksys.
  2. Forward the approprnate port ranges so that the softphone will recieve both the control channels as well as the audio channels (RTP)

See the following for more info:
voip-info.org/wiki-NAT+and+VOIP[/url]

Good luck!

“do I have to do anything on the router and what IP should use for softphone client?”

Thats depends a bit. I sit at a web cafe just now with my laptop and I am online to my aah with a x-lite softphone client. They have defenitively not forwarded any ports for me.

The question can not be anwered with a yes or a no. It will depend on the softphone you are using. A sip softphone like x-lite will require minimum 2 ports one for setup of the call and one for the transport og sound packets. If they need to be forwarded or not will vary.

If the soft phone is using the iax protocoll (like idefisk) it will use only one port.

In my home where I have my aah I have forwarded both the iax, sip, and rtp ports.