How to configure asterisk for newuser

hello all
i am new user for this asterisk configuration.
i read the documentation of asterisk from asterisk.org and i download asterisk from asterisk.org. Then i install it by make sample and asterisk is running.
now what to do next.i have no ideas how to develop.
i am searching soft phone for client computer through which we can dial . so which soft phone is good for this and how to configure it.
everbody suggestions are heartly welcome .
Also,there is any documentation which has step by step method and configure upto one client dial to another client successfully.

thank for everybody response.
rina

I recommend looking through the two links at the bottom of my post.

We are testing with the Xlite softphone.
You can download i free from the www.xten.com site.

Configurating is very easy. You find documents in this forum and on the www.voip-info.org site

[quote=“Tom”]We are testing with the Xlite softphone.
You can download i free from the www.xten.com site.

Configurating is very easy. You find documents in this forum and on the www.voip-info.org site[/quote]

hello
thanks for suggestions.
i look the ww.voip-info.org but it is very much vast and for beginner, it is difficult to trace where to start.
now i just want ,one computer can dial another computer by using specific ip address.
in between them i want asterisk server so that in asterisk i can define the extension number . i want to configure simple pbx system in asterisk in LAN and escaping the external PSTN part.
i am going to use netmeeting as soft phone .is it ok for this configuration?
Also to dial one computer to another computer through asterisk using netmeeting sucessfully,how to install asterisk and which files are necessary to configure.
Because i install asterisk through sample and it contains lots of configuration files so please point out me which files are nedded and how to configure it.

thank for everybody helps
bye rina

Then you should start with the O’Reilly Book linked below as well.

:question: :question: there’s a link on the front page of the wiki that does here : voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk … i would have thought that was easy enough !

hello
thanks for suggestions.
i go through both of site and book as voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk and Asterisk O’ Reilly book-asterisk WiKi.
but what i want in this initial period is, just to connect from one computer to another computer successful by using ip.
it is ok if i use netmeeting as client phone . how to configure in asterisk server and its files for this initial test .
how to define these ip address in asterisk server that used by client phone .
please tell me precisely as how to write incomming connection call and outgoing connection and its related files.

thanks for everybody guide.
rina

ok, if you can’t get the information you need to setup a base system from the free book or the wiki, then i don’t see how someone posting the same instructions here is going to help you.

if you want a system that does the basics for you then go look at asteriskathome.sf.net … download the ISO and burn it to a CD, then boot from that CD on a machine you’re happy to sacrifice for the cause, and an hour later you’ll be there. you’ll still need to configure client software and you’ll need to use the links provided earlier in this thread.

if that’s all still beyond you, you’ll need to hire a consultant.