How do the phone carriers do voicemail?

Hello,

T-Mobile and friends all seem to have a particular voicemail number that serves two purposes. When I call the number from my cell phone, it uses Caller ID or ANI to detect that I’m calling, so it lets me in without a password. However, if a call has been forwarded to that number it will go into message recording mode and record a message from the caller. It also stores the number which called.

It would appear to me that they have two numbers that are passed to them. The originating DID and the called DID. Am I correct here?

I want to create a simple Asterisk system that I can forward my business partner and my voicemail to, but have us each have our own inboxes, but use just one number for the two boxes, providing caller ID and remote checking of messages just like the telcos do. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Ray

[quote=“rwl4”]Hello,

T-Mobile and friends all seem to have a particular voicemail number that serves two purposes. When I call the number from my cell phone, it uses Caller ID or ANI to detect that I’m calling, so it lets me in without a password. However, if a call has been forwarded to that number it will go into message recording mode and record a message from the caller. It also stores the number which called.

It would appear to me that they have two numbers that are passed to them. The originating DID and the called DID. Am I correct here?

I want to create a simple Asterisk system that I can forward my business partner and my voicemail to, but have us each have our own inboxes, but use just one number for the two boxes, providing caller ID and remote checking of messages just like the telcos do. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Ray[/quote]

The only way I believe you could do this is to have two lines going into asterisk and have asterisk answer both the calls for your cell phone and your office line. The office line would work like it normally does, however, when someone calls your cell phone, asterisk would make an additional outgoing call to your cell phone. If the cell phone is unanswered asterisk can drop the call and send the user to voicemail. Pretty simple?

Truthfully, I would even take this a step further and have only one phone line for your cell phone and office. You could optionally have a follow-me which would ring your cell phone if nobody answers the phone.

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.