How do i remove extensions from ael-demo / ael-default?

Hi all,

(raw beginner!)

I’m trying to follow the instructions in the 2nd edition of the O’Reilly text for setting up my first asterisk server. I created the (nearly empty) extensions.conf per page 73, and installed in /etc/asterisk (running CentOS 5.2 and Asterisk 1.4). Rebooted to be safe. I ran dialplan show, expecting 1 extension (per the sample output in the book on page 74), but instead got 26 and a whole bunch of kruft about ael-demo. The output of dialplan show indicates that i have additional (unexpected) contexts, ael-default and ael-demo.

I grepped for variants of this phrase in the /etc/asterisk conf files, but didn’t find any references. I assume this is introduced via the build process somehow, but not sure where.

Can anybody tell me what ael-demo is all about? How do i remove it from my configuration (to get to a more simple base conf)?

Sorry, this is my first post so hope i’m giving enough info.
Thx for any help.
Bill

Remove extensions.ael from the configuration directory and reload the dialplan.

I too was caught with the same scenario. It seems that whoever wrote the docs didn’t fill in the newbies, or anyone else for that matter, that a new build of * comes with all the demo stuff built-in. Kudos for the developers but it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all those added extensions that come in from ael.

I found that since I wanted to learn * more in depth that erasing or removing the extensions.ael left me wondering what tips and tricks were in there that the developers used. So instead of removing it, may I suggest that you just rename it to extensions.ael.hold. * will load and report it cannot find the ael file but it will run normally and you’ll only have your extensions to deal with when examining your dialplan. And later on you can go have a look at all those interesting extensions in the ael file.

Thanks folks. Removing extensions.ael did the trick. Interestingly, the ael context did NOT get removed by running asterisk -rx “dialplan reload” even though it said the dialplan had been updated. After a server reboot though, life was good.
Thanks for the help!
Bill

Bill, you should run asterisk -rx “ael reload” because extensions.ael has AEL dialplan.
“dialplan reload” re-reading extensions.conf