solution:

Asterisk needs fresh samples, and a make config

*backup asterisk directory

./configure
make clean
make
make install
make config

• move extensions.conf sip.conf, and voicemail.conf back into the new asterisk directory.

service asterisk restart

asterisk is ignoring the whole extensions.conf it looks like.

It can not even see a single context in it, the command
dialplan show from-sip

returns nothing,

and a dialplan show

produces a bunch of contexts from the default install, not what I put there.

it has been reloaded / stopped now about 20 times

Why is it refusing to simply read the extensions.conf ?

Well, I just wasted 4 hours playing squash the bug games, not happy. How come this is broken ?

This a quite a nasty bug with this version

Hi

Lets get this clear,

What version ???

[quote]dialplan show

produces a bunch of contexts from the default install, not what I put there.[/quote]

Have you restarted the server ? and make sure that the extensions.ael file is blank

Ian

reinstalled to later verion, clean files

Thanks again everyone!

[quote]core stop now
and
reload[/quote]

I mean powered down and cold restarted. As if its got a config its come from somewere,

Ian

[/quote]

I mean powered down and cold restarted. As if its got a config its come from somewere,

[/quote]

This has never been the case for any version of asterisk in the past.

Everything always went from the reloading of the services. I’ll give it a try, but “rebooting” is not an option in a production environment. No asterisk function has ever required a reboot in the past (except for module load order in old zaptel?)

are you 100% sure that your extensions.conf file is
A: Spelt correct ie extensions.conf with no control chars in the nameing
B: the file is in a unix format and not been edited by notpad or the like just using vi

also try dos2unix to make 100 sure the file is in unix format

Ian

Hi

I agree, but you have a screwed server so a cold restart will clean it up and then look at teh log files to see what errors are thown up

Ian

Thank you very much for the help, it is very much appreciated.

I converted it with dos2unix and check the filename as specified, all very sound troubleshooting steps.

thanks again for your expertise, I’ll try .10 tomorrow

When you get a “bug” that would, obviously, affect a large proportion of users, you can be pretty sure that it is you that is doing something wrong.