General-general question

I spent the whole day searching where to start and all i found was the 389 pages book and all links to this forum…

Let me tell you what I need and can some please show where to start…

System where people call PBX answer, they entering their pin and asterix updates the mysql values if the pin is right…

i’m pretty sure it is possible, i mean asterix is very big, so can some please show where to start…

thank you very much

This can be done by using an agi script and mysql. Do a search on voip-info.org for agi.

thanks… but where do i start with asterix? do i need Asterix Now or just Asterix and where do i start so i can have phone number wich goes to my asterix?

thanks

read the sticky at the top of the forum … there is a link to a free ebook about Asterisk, and a link to the wiki. that’s the best place to start for installation and DDI/DID providers etc.

as to whether you go AsteriskNOW or Asterisk, i think you should probably go through the links/books and decide whether you want to roll your own, or use a pre-packaged distro.

thanks. i was reading for couple of hours now.

I understand how to set pbx, voicemail, ext. and phones.
But still did not find any information on how can I connect an asterix to the phone line (voip line, like “skype in”) that i can buy a phone number and all calls will go to my asterix…

all i found, that i can buy a pc card to wich you connect a regular dial tone jack… but i do not need it… i need voip solution… becuase it’s cheap…lol

thanks again…

find a provider (SIP or IAX2) from the hundreds available (look on the wiki at voip-info.org/) and setup a trunk on your Asterisk box in the appropriate conf file. you can find the info on the entries you need in the book, on the wiki, or often from the provider you choose.

then setup a dialplan in extensions.conf to use the newly created trunk.

any advice on a provider? it’s a big list

i’m not going to make any calls from asterix, incoming calls only.

and i still did not find any info on difference between asterix and asterix now…

and it’s a big world … i have no idea where you are !!

why not google for the ones that take your fancy … you’ll probably find user reviews out there for most of them. you also want to pick someone fairly “close” to you as far as a ping goes, to avoid latency issues.

then it’s down to how much you want to pay for the service (if anything) and how much a DID/DDI is worth to you.

thanks for that… i’m from NY city and just thought that may be you know some good provider… but anyway… thanks again for pointing me…

i have some great providers … but they would be of little use to you in the US.