Error 408 on vanilla Asterisk

Hello all,

Apologies if this query keeps on cropping up but I am experiencing an issue with the X-Lite client trying to connect to a fairly vanilla Asterisk box.

The error I am receiving is “Registration Error: 408 - Request Timeout”.

The way it is all installed is that I have a server with Asterisk installed on on IP addrss 192.168.100.76 and I have my client connected to this IP subnet on 10.6.10.71 via a Watchguard firewall. I also have a Windows 8.1 installation also on the same server as Asterisk on IP address 192.168.100.74. Both my client and Windows 8.1 installation are unable to connect to Asterisk.

Whilst connecting from the 8.1 installation, I run a packet capture on my Asterisk server and found SIP traffic reaching my Asterisk server no problems so I was wondering why I cannot connect my SIP softphone to Asterisk?!

I have entered the following firewall rules on my Asterisk box also:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5004:5082 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 10000:20000 -j ACCEPT

My sip.conf file is extremely straightforward too:

[general]
context=unauthenticated
allowguest=yes
srvlookup=yes
udpbindaddr=0.0.0.0
tcpenable=no

[1000]
type=friend
context=phones
host=dynamic

I have installed X-lite 3.0 for “simplicity” and my config in the softphone client is as follows:

[[Account Tab]]
Display name: 1000
Username: 1000
Password:
Auth username:
Domain: 192.168.100.76

Register with domain and receive incoming calls: TICKED
Proxy (selected): 192.168.100.76

[[Topology Tab]]
Use local IP address (selected)
STUN Server: Use Specific server (selected):
Enable ICE [unticked]

Any ideas?

You need to find out exactly where the request or response is getting lost, which means running sip debugging on Asterisk itself to see if Asterisk is receiving the request and sending a response.

408 basically means the client got no response at all.

Hello David55,

Thank you for your response. It turned out to be a faulty firewall rule that we thought would allow SIP communication but was not. This was rectified and now we are getting communication from our X-Lite softphones to the Asterisk server.