Can't Hear Sound From Hardphone ( Linksys SPA941 )

Hello All,
I’ve been scouring the forums for two days looking for an answer to my problem, so I guess I’ll go ahead an ask for help ; )

I’m attempting to set up a test Asterisk system using AsteriskNow to replace my library’s current phone system. I’ve put together an Asterisk server with 4 FXO ports ( 1 is currently connected ), a Linksys SPA941 phone, and a laptop running Ekiga as a softphone.

The problem is that with the SPA941, I can speak into it and hear my voice from the other end, but it does not output any sound sent to it. This includes voicemail. With Ekiga, I can hear the voicemail just fine, but with the SPA941, it connects, the server says it’s playing sounds, but all I get is silence.

Any ideas? I’m wondering if this is a codec issue.

Type:
tcpdump udp portrange 10000-20000 > file

Into your console and press enter, make a broken call from your ip phone, then ctrl+c in your terminal.

Then open the file in a text editor and see where packets are coming/going to/from. Its likely the rtp stream (the voice data) on one leg of the call is going to the wrong place.

Type:
tcpdump udp portrange 10000-20000 > file

Into your console and press enter, make a broken call from your ip phone, then ctrl+c in your terminal.

Then open the file in a text editor and see where packets are coming/going to/from. Its likely the rtp stream (the voice data) on one leg of the call is going to the wrong place.

Thanks for the tip. I ran ‘tcpdump udp’ because the portrange gave me a syntax error.

Here is a copy of the output: http://kylehall.info/downloads/asteriskTcpdump

The asterisk server is 192.168.1.80, the phone is .81, and I was making an outgoing call to my cellphone. I could here my voice on the cellphone, but not on the sip hardphone.

Thanks for the help.

Have you tried testing it with asterisk’s echo test? This is my first port of call. The dump appears to show rtp data going both ways.

No, how would I go about doing that?

Add this into the context where your phones are in extensions.conf

exten => 500,1,Verbose(1|Echo test application)
exten => 500,n,Answer()
exten => 500,n,Playback(demo-echotest)
exten => 500,n,Echo()
exten => 500,n,Playback(demo-echodone)
exten => 500,n,Hangup()

Then dial 500

Dialing 500 and trying the echo test on the softphone works perfectly, but on the hardphone I don’t even hear the voice prompt even though the phone is connected, the call duration keeps counting up.

Post your sip.conf entries for both phones please.

I figured it out. I ordered an SPA942 and swapped it in for the 941, and it works perfectly! I must have received a bad phone. Anyway, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate the time you’ve spent trying to help me solve my problem.

Cheers.

No problem at all, I was beginning to think it was an odd problem! One way audio problems are usually evident after a packet dump and usually involve natted situations.