Basic setup requirements for home

Im sorry, this must have been asked a million times, but can’t seem to find the answer.

I just started to switch all my home PC’s to use ubuntu (still playing with its options and what it can do for my house) and i came across asterisk. Well i have worked very little with telephony systems (and VoIP), but its more like im in the dark in that area. So my questions are:

1. Can i install asterisk on my ubuntu server, use my normal analog modem (something like conexeant based modem with full duplex), which is connected to my normal analog line, and from there have a VoIP network inside my house? or do i have to get a gateway (or something like that)? note that all i want is to connect my 1 outside analog line to lets say 4 IP phones that i will have in my house.

2. Can i do the same thing for my parents (a different home) and connect to them via VoIP? having that i have a DSL line with static IP (or some sort of dyndns IP) and they have the same)

3. If point 2 is possible, will I be able also to make Video Calls?

I thank you for your tolerance in answering my questions (im sure they have been asked almost atleast once every week) :smiley:

1. no you cannot use a modem. You need either an analog telephony card like the Diguim AEX410 or TDM410 with 1 FXO port or a “gateway” like the Linksys SPA3102.

2. yes

3. dont now for sure never looked into video with Asterisk.

swaterhouse, thanks for your reply.

I still am confused about how this all works and why do i need a gateway, i thought asterisk does all the processing. so why would it not work with a normal modem?! i remember old apps that i had on win-xp which using the normal modem could pick-up calls and funcion as an answer machine, and as far as i could remember, i could use my mic and headphones to answer that incoming call which was on analog line connected to my 56k modem. So why can this not be applied with a sophisticated app like this one?

Hi,

I would agree with swaterhouse forget about the modem even if you could get it to work you would not be happy with the results.

Yes you could use VOIP to your parents and not interface directly with the PSTN. You don’t even need an Asterisk box at your parents they could register with your box over the internet (but you need to seriously consider the security setup).

Not sure on the video setup as I have never tried it.

Keep reading the book if you mean this one the information is there?

digium.com/elqNow/elqRedir.h … 510480.pdf

Cheers

Brett

[quote=“bwilks”]Hi,

I would agree with swaterhouse forget about the modem even if you could get it to work you would not be happy with the results.

Yes you could use VOIP to your parents and not interface directly with the PSTN. You don’t even need an Asterisk box at your parents they could register with your box over the internet (but you need to seriously consider the security set).

Not sure on the video setup as I have never tried it.

Keep reading the book if you mean this one the information is there?

digium.com/elqNow/elqRedir.h … 510480.pdf

Cheers

Brett[/quote]

yes thats the book … the 600 pages one :smile:

i thought that yes i could register their sets on my box, but it would be much better (more stable) if they have their own since it does not cost much if one uses one of linksys’s gateways (around 60 USD)

the idea behind the modem is not to use extensively, but when i first came across * i really thought there is an app (open source) that can really be used with very minimal cost, and when u read such things as propriety and closed code and that * came to existence because the authors did not like these ideas, you get this feel that there are still some people out there who are not all about the money… but then when u read more u start finding out that u need such and such u get a bit disappointed, while im sure that their first tests on * where done on a simple modem :smile:

Make life easy.

Forget Ubuntoooooooo, at first. You can always go back to it when you get some time under your belt with Asterisk.

1: Just download the latest “stable” version of *Now, install on a machine you don’t mind setting aside just for your phone system,

2: before you buy any cards get it working with a couple of softphones between two computers, once you know you have it up and running then you can buy a new or used digium fxo card or go on e-bay, type in digium in the search bar and you will see a bunch of different sellers pop up with different cards for sale, there is one I use that was $29.95 US money, claimed to be the real one, and it works great, can’t beat 29.95 when the other are 100 or more. It’s sold from somewhere in asia, if you need name let me know and I will dig it out,

3: make a few phone calls with it, if all works then get some VoIp phones and place them in ur hose and try,

4: since you have dsl at ur house and mom’s then take one of your new found VoIp phones over to mom’s, plug it in and wala, it should find your box (if you programmed it right). Mom can now make calls off your box and mom can give your number out with her personal extension number. That is the way I have all my family set up, three in Texas, one in Florida, and the rest in Calif. We have one phone bill (actually have 12 lines) and we can take them anywhere with us on the road or to a new house/location.

For info, and to save you a lot of time:

1: if you have dsl, get into your dsl router and find your dynamic address of the router as you will need this for your “outside” phone to know where to go when looking for your machine.

2: make sure that you have the required ports “open” on your router ( generally port 5060 and 1000-2000) and that your dsl router knows to forward these incoming to your in-house machine.

3: Remember when using dsl, your dynamic address can change at a minutes notice, so be prepared for this when it happens, I have static ip, but I also pay for it as I have web server and other servers running on that ip address.

Once you have it all set up, then take and place ur cell phone as one of your extensions and if you have one of the new cell phones that does sip/voip/wifi then you could use any local wifi town and use your cell phone to make free calls off you machine through wifi while out and about.

Now that you have all this going then you can get another machine put ubuntooooooooo on it and download asterisk and hard code and setup your stuff on it.

One other thing you may want to play with is using your in-house portable phone with your asterisk machine, thus giving you the ability to walk around the house and using sip at the same time. You can buy portable phones at the garage sales or new for less than 50 bucks US money.

I use cordless phone at all locations and even have one mounted in my car attached to in-car termanl laptop.

As the mind wonders, fun things come about.

Have fun trying Asterisk and good luck.

William