Asterisk on virtualized Linux driving POTS- only hardware

Virtualization being the big word these days, I am looking for a way to virtualize Linux on top of my current Windows installation AND have my Asterisk- specific hardware still work.
The goal is to get the original Digium cards work in a Windows box with a virtual machine that is running Linux with Asterisk on top. So I would first virtualize Linux, install Asterisk on top of it and operate Asterisk- specific hardware from virtualized Asterisk.
How to virtualize Asterisk beyond IP-only telephony? It doesn’t have to be Digium- only, but it has to work with POTS first- be it wired or cellular…
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated…

Sorry but a VM does have access to the PCI cards.
You COULD use ATA’s to have access to POTS but no internel cards

:smiley: “Does” or “doesn’t”… I would safe guess it doesn’t, but let’s keep fingers crossed… :wink:
Could you also suggest a VM that has access to USB on a Windows machine?
Tnx bubba!

Hi

Im pretty sure it doesnt, But why not use a IP gateway, depending on budget you have anything form Grandstream to Vegastream to choose from.

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Im pretty sure it doesnt, But why not use a IP gateway, depending on budget you have anything form Grandstream to Vegastream to choose from.

Ian[/quote]
I agree that IP gateway is one of the solutions in the virtualized Asterisk scenario. Another approach would be to use cellphone as an FXO/FXS device that will be connected to Asterisk via Bluetooth. Hence the question for a VM solution that gives access to the USB (connection would be established via Bluetooth USB dongle).
I have already tried VirtualBox and I have BIG problems installing any Linux flavour as a virtual machine…

Yes it does NOT see the cards (sorry)

As for USB I would not think that would work very well.

Linux works very well under VMware / virtuoso.com/ XEN / Centos 5 has it built in.

Now Asterisk under VM is not as robust as a stand alone box but even under VMware free server it works fine for LITE duty 2 ~ 4 calls at a time.

In the past I have install Asterisk on the HOST box and installed a PRI card, I then had two VM boxes running under the VMware server
I created trunks from the guest to the host so the guest boxes had access to the PRI.

All the heavy coding was done on the guest boxes (backup / restore is simple this way) We ran the meetme’s on the host.