Analog phone speed dial not working

Hello guys,

I’m new to Asterisk and the forum.
A bit of background:
My name is Eric and I live in the Netherlands. I’ve had a previous setup of Asterisk on a Raspberry Pi with a Linksys SPA device which was working well with the exception of a lot of echo. I’ve now switched to a dedicated PC with an Openvox A400P card with an FXO and FXS module.

I am facing two issues,

1. My Dect phone is connected to the FXS port and my PSTN line to the FXO port (obviously). When I take the phone off the hook and dial a public number I get connected, but when I enter the number on the phone and then take it of the hook (it starts dialling the number automatically), I can’t get connected.I get some sort of busy tone. I have a feeling that the number is dialled to quickly by the phone (using dtmf).

2. A few seconds after I put the phone on the hook my phone is automatically taken off-hook and shows ‘Channel 2’ in the display. A few seconds later it puts the phone on the hook and all is normal. I’m using a simple/cheap Dect phone of which the base station is connected to the FXS port of the A400P

Does anybody have any ideas about either issues? If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Eric

1. Asterisk provides extensive tracing and debugging output to allow you to work out what is happening.

2. This sounds like an issue with the phone, as there is no standard method for signalling the event over an analogue line.

[quote=“david55”]1) Asterisk provides extensive tracing and debugging output to allow you to work out what is happening.

1. This sounds like an issue with the phone, as there is no standard method for signalling the event over an analogue line.[/quote]

Thanks David, the additional logging gave me enough information to solve issue #1. In my dial plan I had extension _X!, I thought this would capture a call to a 10 digit number. After changing this to _XXXXXXXXXXXX! it worked as it should. Strange that I could call without speed dialling :confused:

As for issue number 2, the phone is working normally when I connect it to the PSTN line directly, but when connecting it to Asterisk the issue appears. This also did not happen with the Linksys SPA device I had. Are there any settings of the FXS port that I could change? It seems the port is not behaving in the same way as the PSTN line or the FXS port of the Linksys SPA…

Edit:
It seems my phone is receiving a very short call, so it is not my phone calling, but my phone receiving a call. The cid is the name of the channel on the FXO port.

I just found a post with someone having the same problem http://forums.asterisk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77137, but no answer. There is nothing reported by Asterisk (verbosity set very high), but with dahdi_monitor I see tx and rx levels (after hang-up when the phone lights up again).

Thanks and best regards,
Eric

You probably wanted “.” rather than “!”. However, what is probably happening here is that the first digit was being repated by Asterisk, and then the remaining digits were being passed through as media.

You would need to enable low level tracing to work out what is happening with the other problem.

Ah that explains things.

I’ll try the low level logging tomorrow. My guess is that the driver or hardware is seeing a spike or something that is seen as an incoming call.I even get the calls if I only pick up the hook and then hangup without dialing a number.
As a temporary workaround: Is there a way to temporarily ignore any incoming calls (through the dial plan) after a Hangup (for 10 seconds or so)

Thanks,
Eric

Ok, I’ve seemed to solve my problem with the very short phantom/ghost calls.
I’ve added the channel name ‘PSTN’ to the wrong channel, so the calls were not originating from the FXO port, but actually from the FXS port. After disabling VMWI I no longer received the short calls after putting the phone on the hook.

Thanks for your help guys.

Best regards,
Eric