Analog phone + IAXy + WiFi

I have a wireless access point connected to my LAN and would like to use that with a WiFi enabled phone to connect to Asterisk.

However, most of the WiFi phones I’ve seen so far, at least the ones I would want, are a bit pricey.

Anyone know if it’s possible to connect an analog phone to an IAXy module and connect the IAXy to some kind of a wireless module that will talk to my 802.11g WAP?

doesnt having it plug in defeat the purpose of wireless? both the iaxy and the wireless gadget will need power plugs…

I think there is a wifi dongle for the linksys SPA ip phones that makes them wireless…

doesnt having it plug in defeat the purpose of wireless?

Good morning, IronHelix.

For this particular application, the phone needs to go in a place where it would be relatively inconvenient to run a network cable. But, it does not need to move around easily. So, having it in one place, tied to the wall with power plugs, is OK.

I think there is a wifi dongle for the linksys SPA ip phones
that makes them wireless.

But, then I’d have to buy the SPA ip phone. I have some spare analog phones here I’d like to press into service if I can do it without too much hassle.

I have this setup at home to provide an asterisk extension to an old analog phone in the living room so I would not have to run a network cable.

I have a netgear 614 wireless router with the asterisk server connected to one of its switch ports. In the living room I installed a Buffalo Technologies Ethernet Converter (WLI-TX4-G54HP) to providce a wirelesss link back to the Netgear router. The Ethernet Converter includes a built in 4-port hub, that I plugged a digium IAXy ATA into, and the analog phone into the ATA.

Works fine this way, but I should upgrade the Netgear wireless router to increase my bandwidth and the ability to use WPA instead of WEP since it is only 802.11b with no WPA, while the ethernet converter supports 802.11g and WPA.

Linksys, Netgear, DLink, etc offer ethenet converters but they are marketed to allow your game console to be connected to your wireless network, ususally have only on ethernet port and may not support WPA. They can all be found online, but I was able to get the Buffalo Technology one at a local (don’t flame me - not my first choice) Best Buy.

yes in that case it will work. As previous poster said- use one that supports wpa security. Other than that tho- if your wireless stuff works there is no reason why the iaxy wont.

I run four IAX device’s over a Linksys WAP11 Point to point, works great.

never had a sound issue.