[XP] Sniffing SIP between phone and remote Asterisk?

Hello

I’d like to see the whole SIP dialog between an IP phone and a remote Asterisk server. I guess I can set up my XP host to run some proxy that can capture and display the conversations, but I’ve never used those things.

Is Wireshark (ex-Ethereal) a good solution and a no-brainer to use for this? Should I try something else?

Thank you.

Do you have access to the Asterisk? If yes, none of these would be necessary, because you can turn sip debug on.

Ethereal (never used Wireshark) is a reasonable no-brainer. And if you are trying to troubleshoot Asterisk, you can use a soft phone instead of going to the trouble of setting up a Windows machine as router (ouch :open_mouth: ).

Sorry, I am new,

What is troubleshoot Asterisk, you can use a soft phone instead of going to the trouble of setting up a Windows machine as router (ouch )?
Can I get the url of soft phone debugging tool?

Hi, vincentdelporte:

Yes wireshark is great for analyzing network protocols.
Though you don’t need to try to get your windows machine in the middle.
Simply use tcpdump on your asterisk server and then copy the tcpdump “dump” file to your PC and load into wireshark.

for example if your SIP phone is at for example the IP 10.1.2.3

do this on your asterisk server
tcpdump -w /tmp/sipdump -s0 dst host 10.1.2.3 or src host 10.1.2.3
and make a call, once done quite tcpdump

this will capture all traffic from your asterisk server to your SIP phone.
(also make sure that canreinvite=no on your sip.conf, in case your are calling between 2 SIP phones, to make sure you see ALL traffic)

then copy the file /tmp/sipdump to your PC and open that file in wireshark. Alternatively you can have your PC run wireshark in capture mode, but you’d need to use a hub or a switch with port mirroring to be able to see the traffic between the nodes.

-brian