Will the Avaya 4620 ( h323 but no sip ) work on asterisk?

Hi all,

I have a question regarding a Avaya 4620 Ip phone. This phone does not support SIP but do support H323. Will this work on asterisk ?

Ipas

Yep the 4620’s are SIP upgradeable (just get the latest firmware from the Avaya support site). Then they work a treat with Asterisk - just set one up tonight :smile:

Do MUTE SIG # and see if you can change your current firmware to SIP from H323.

Ipas,
I’m using an Avaya 4620SW with trixbox, the phone when hooked up to the network, works for sometime, (I have not actually monitored the time) maybe 20-30 minutes, after which the phone will still have a dial tone, but can’t dial out or recieve calls. I scanned thru the logs and found this:
Got SIP response 400 “Invalid Subscription-State” back from 192.168.10.200 ( 192.168.10.200 is the static IP assigned to the Avaya device).

I’ve got a 4621 that forgets it is connected to Asterisk and I have to log off and then re-register it. Of course, every time I re-register it the damn thing reboots. I’ll stick with Polycom, thanks.

:smile:

Tom

I upgraded the the phones to the latest firmware and now it doesn’t unregister for a long time (couple hours). The sound quality is great and that’s the only reason I’m keeping those but yes I will buy polycoms going forward.

If I remember correctly, you need the 4620SW or a 4621 to do SIP. The standard 4620s only run H.323 firmware. Also, as far as the phones un-registering from Asterisk, Avaya uses a non-standard MWI SIP implementation that causes this to happen. If you remove the mailbox=xxxx@device line from your sip.conf, the phones will properly stay registered. Only downside is that you can’t have MWI. At least, that has been my experience with my 4602s.

Thanks,
Matthew Nickasch[/list]

The Avaya 46xx phones are generally upgradeable with the SIP firmware available from support.avaya.com. The only issue I have is that they do not accept the message waiting notification that is sent by Asterisk. You have to remove the mailbox from the sip.conf file to make them work. They’ll stay registered forever if you don’t have the message waiting activated.

I’d like to see some work-around so I could have the message waiting light and not lose registration.

The Avaya 46xx phones are generally upgradeable with the SIP firmware available from support.avaya.com. The only issue I have is that they do not accept the message waiting notification that is sent by Asterisk. You have to remove the mailbox from the sip.conf file to make them work. They’ll stay registered forever if you don’t have the message waiting activated.

I’d like to see some work-around so I could have the message waiting light and not lose registration.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip guys will try and post my results.