Wikipedia Access through the telephone

Hi dear Asterisk-Community,

heres what i want:

1. i dial my home number from somewhere in the world
  2. asterisk should tell the phoner he should press 1 to phone me or 2 to get an wikipedia article
  3. i press 2
  4. asterisk says “Wikipedia Article selected, please tell me the word you want to know more about”
  5. me (the phoner) says astersik (or something else)
  6. asterisk reads out the chapters from the article and wants the user to dial the number for the chapter (for example 2 for chapter 2, 0 for all chapters)
  7. asterisk reads out the article

Are there already addons for this task?
Do you know how to solve my problem?
What do u think about my idea?

Sorry 4 my bad english
alex aka bleetack

This is possible using a voice recoginition such as Sphinx (opensource) and writing an AGI to fetch the Wikipedia text from the web using CURL or some such library.

im new to the opensource-“scene” :wink:
what does AGI mean?
is sphinx an addon to asterisk or do i need to code a lot to integrate it?
what does curl do?

(i know, google is a smart friend, but u r 2 :wink:

in my eyes the biggest problem is the data communication between asterisk and a voice recoginiting system.

I dont exactly now how asterisk/sphinx works, but i think asterisk should have to stream the data to sphinx.
Is there already such a function integrated in asterisk?

(if u have a lot of time, so please tell me my errors in my english,
i would like to improve :wink:

AGI = Asterisk Gateway Interface - one of the methods used for integrating external applications with Asterisk.

curl is an application similar to wget which can be used to retrieve data from a URI (ftp or web server, typically).

Sphinx I have no further info on :wink:

Google and the Wiki will become your friend:

voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

without sounding flippant, it appears to be quite easy.

an IVR runs the options, then if the wiki option is taken, asterisk records a soundfile. then use AGI to call the sphinx netclient to lookup the phrase in the “dictionary”. depending on the returned value, we read it back to the caller and prompt for an OK. if yes then go get the article and pipe that through festival to read it out, if no then prompt for a re-record or a spelling of the characters in the search phrase … repeat as required until caller says OK.

problems ?? the size of the dictionary required for sphinx. although the fallback-to-spelling option means you could get around it and maybe make a record of the ‘failed’ word to include in the next dictionary build.

What would be the use of a costly application like this? How will it generate funds to support itself?

KM

[color=red]< Question > [/color]
Would it be possible while someone is on hold to play a advertisement that is interactive ? The interactive application would allow the person choices while listening. There are many times I’m on hold with a company 10 minutes or longer and listening to new product information. Wouldn’t it be nice to select what information to listen to while your waiting. Having a menu system to access while on hold and even maybe a code number to re-enter when your party picks up the line and returns you back on hold. Enter the code number and your taken back to where you left off. I would think an external application could be written for the customer allowing them to enter the same code on the company website to have more product information displayed. Have a form that could be filled out to have a sales rep contact you.

Just a thought…
John Pierce

Although I dont know what it has to do with the orignal post, I think that is a rather neat idea. I know on some advanced systems you are at least able to change the music. Perhaps you can design some some module that other * users can just drop into their system :question:

Or more in line with the orginal post, perhaps someone on hold could shuffle through new words… athough I dont think that would be that exciting…:unamused:

km

[quote=“cpdist”][color=red]< Question > [/color]
Would it be possible while someone is on hold to play a advertisement that is interactive ? The interactive application would allow the person choices while listening. There are many times I’m on hold with a company 10 minutes or longer and listening to new product information. Wouldn’t it be nice to select what information to listen to while your waiting. Having a menu system to access while on hold and even maybe a code number to re-enter when your party picks up the line and returns you back on hold. Enter the code number and your taken back to where you left off. I would think an external application could be written for the customer allowing them to enter the same code on the company website to have more product information displayed. Have a form that could be filled out to have a sales rep contact you.

Just a thought…
John Pierce[/quote]

Yes, this is possible with Asterisk with current functionality.