Which version of Linux to go with for clean install?

Hi,

I am about to do a clean install of Asterisk 1.4, and was wondering if there is a certain version of Asterisk that anyone out there has had the least amount of problems with?

Thanks!

I am running both 1.4.24 and 1.4.26 in production and both are pretty good. 1.4.24 throws some annoying warnings which were cleaned up in later versions.

I would check the bugs at bugs.digium.com for each specific version to see if there is anything that looks scary to how you use asterisk. For example, if there are core dumps with app_queue, but you don’t use app_queue, you don’t have to worry about it.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we will ever have a truly 100% stable asterisk version. There are too many people with their hands in the pot, all making patches which sometimes negatively impact other parts of the system.

I really like asterisk, but the instability of a ‘bug/security fix’ branch is pretty lame.

I see. I have actually been trying my luck with trixbox 2.8, which comes with Asterisk 1.6, but have lost a lot of hair in the process.

And Linux? Which distribution would you recommend going with for Asterisk 1.4.26? I am kind of leaning towards CentOS 5.3. What would you recommend?

I run CentOS 5.2 or 5.3 on all my servers. Would never pick anything else!

Great. Thanks for reaffirming my decision!