Very Bad Performance - Noise and Echo

I have set up asterisk on a Debian box several times now, trying different configurations. I still get the same horrendous crackle, static and echo from phoens. I have not tried external calls yet. I need to solve the internal extension problem when calling SIP to SIP. I do have a TDM03B.

Here is my zapata.conf:

[trunkgroups]
[channels]
language=en
context=default
;signalling=fxs_ks
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=yes
callwaiting=no
;sendcalleridafter=1
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
canpark=yes
echocancel=yes
rxgain=3.0
txgain=3.0
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
cidsignalling=v23 ; Added for UK CLI detection
cidstart=polarity ; Added for UK CLI detection 
immediate=yes
;faxdetect=both
;faxdetect=incoming
;faxdetect=outgoing
;faxdetect=no
;musiconhold=default
channel => 2-4

And here is my sip.conf:

[general]
context=default
bindport=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
[6001]
type=friend
context=local
callerid=myfriend1
host=dynamic
secret=6001
dtmfmode=inband
mailbox=6001

[6002]
type=friend
context=local
callerid=myfriend2
host=dynamic
secret=6002
dtmfmode=inband
mailbox=6002

[6003]
type=friend
context=local
callerid=myfriend3
host=dynamic
secret=6003
dtmfmode=inband
mailbox=6003

All the phones are Sipura 841’s.
The kernel I am using is 2.6.8-2-686
on a Dell PowerEdge 800 with 1 GB of ram.
I am in the UK

Please can someone help me here. I have not got a clue where I am going wrong and starting to think that this investment was a bad idea!!!

/Craig

you shouldn’t be suffering on “internal” calls, as your zap interfaces aren’t being used at this point. do you get different performance without the card installed ?

are you running X or any graphical interface ?

I am not runng X, xdm or any other graphical frontend at all. I have not tried it without the card installed. Do you mean using xtdummy instead?

/Craig

“regular calls” shouldn’t need a timing interface as supplied by Digium hardware or ztdummy.

you seem to have linked the poor quality to your TDM card, i’m merely suggesting you remove it to prove your theory or otherwise.

what are the loads like on your box ? what’s the processor/memory use looking like ?

this is what ‘Top’ produces:

Tasks:  40 total,   2 running,  38 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.0% us,  0.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 100.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si
Mem:   1028200k total,    54824k used,   973376k free,     5384k buffers
Swap:  2650684k total,        0k used,  2650684k free,    25316k cached

:bulb: Do you need a good quality switch on the IP network?

/Craig

a good switch is better, but i have seen perfectly functional Asterisk setups on some nasty switches too.

looks like your box isn’t exactly busy either.

once you isolated the Digium card, can you isolate the Asterisk box from the rest of the network ? do your phones run passthru for a PC ? if so, how busy are the PCs ?

baconbuttie,

thank you for your help so far. The asterisk box and the hardphones are running on a dedicated network. There are no PC’s on the network at all. So the only units on the network are the asterisk box and the Sipura 841’s.

/Craig

I am going to try the latest asterisk@home and see how that turns out…

Watch this space.

/Craigad

given the detail we have, i’m wondering if your Asterisk box has a working DNS setup. IME, it’s been a bit sensitive to DNS problems, although it has been a while since i’ve seen issues (but that may be due to longer-living 'net connections !)

it’ll be interesting to see whether an A@H setup in the same (possibly isolated) network setup has similar problems.

OK, this looks like a set up problem with the Sipura Phones. Using Asterisk@Home and X-lite - the problem went away. Using asterisk@home and sipura to a X-lite extension was terrible. Problem is sipura.

…I need to see someone’s working config for this phone !

/Craig