v1.2

Perhaps I going blind, but I cannot for the life of me see where these hundreds of new features are listed anywhere.

It really would be soooo usefull to know the delta between the two, or do I have to compare source code? I find it really amazing that 1.2 is trumpeted, but the new features don’t seem to get a mention.

I also presume that the readme on AEL is the best there is at the moment?

rgds

lol You want documentation? :laughing: Your funny!

Yeah, I know, still, at least it raises the barriers to entry in deploying asterisk. You’ve got to be really persistant to use this stuff, the number of people who would be turned off by the lack of basic information must be huge

Yes, indeed the lack of good documentation is a barrier to wide adoption of Asterisk. Incremental improvements are being made, with the likes of the O’Reilly book (see my signature below). And with a creative approach to problem solving and these tools that barrier has been lowered tremendously.

With time Asterisk will become more mainstream. But even Apache, the most widely used webserver in the world, takes a while to get your head around even now. The life of opensource and community based projects…you may fight it or embrace it, the choice is yours.

I did find this, which is somewhat usefull, but by my reconning, there are only 6 new features, so the question is, what happened to the other 94+?
unless you’re counting bugs as features :laughing:

[quote=“MuppetMaster”]Yes, indeed the lack of good documentation is a barrier to wide adoption of Asterisk. Incremental improvements are being made, with the likes of the O’Reilly book (see my signature below). And with a creative approach to problem solving and these tools that barrier has been lowered tremendously.
[/quote]

Yes, it’s a stirling effort and it is to be applauded. My copy looks like it’s ten years old already it’s been so well thumbed, it’s an essential tool for those relatively new to *, however there are still areas that aren’t very well covered, like queues. Let’s hope the next edition covers other areas in more detail and in particular AEL

rgds