Where could one find all the features of * explained?

Hi
I was looking for the feature list of the Asterisk and was not able to understand certain features by their names
is there any site wher these features are explained?
thankyou

Have you looked here

voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

To be honest nowhere but you might try asteriskdocs.org

My frustration with Asterisk is that it is powerful but Digium does not even provide full documentation and to take full advantage you will either need to pay an expert such as Digium themselves or read, read, read and trial and error because IMHO there is no comprehensive documentation and voip-info is just confusing.

Many features and flags described only work in certain versions of Asterisk and that is not always mentioned either.

If you’re looking for a challenge then Asterisk is it :smile:

p.s. maybe try sipx and other PBXs and let me know if you find them better documented or easier to use

asterisk.org/features

These are mostly industry-standard names/acronyms - you can probably find the definitions through Google or Wikipedia. If there’s a feature you are looking for, but don’t know what it’s called, ask here and we can probably tell you. One of the great things about Asterisk is that you can program new and unheard of features, in case what you want is not directly supported.

(to voipnew) Asterisk is challenging if you’re not a computer person - it is a great system, though. If you are an experienced UNIX/Linux user, and you have some technical telephony experience, Asterisk should be a breeze. On the other hand, if you’re not a computer person (or don’t have one on staff) you should probably look at purchasing or leasing a solution (or hiring an Asterisk consultant), rather than trying to roll your own.

[quote=“bsdbigot”]http://www.asterisk.org/features

These are mostly industry-standard names/acronyms - you can probably find the definitions through Google or Wikipedia. If there’s a feature you are looking for, but don’t know what it’s called, ask here and we can probably tell you. One of the great things about Asterisk is that you can program new and unheard of features, in case what you want is not directly supported.

(to voipnew) Asterisk is challenging if you’re not a computer person - it is a great system, though. If you are an experienced UNIX/Linux user, and you have some technical telephony experience, Asterisk should be a breeze. On the other hand, if you’re not a computer person (or don’t have one on staff) you should probably look at purchasing or leasing a solution (or hiring an Asterisk consultant), rather than trying to roll your own.[/quote]

I am very experienced with computers and UNIX systems. I would agree I am very inexperienced with telephone systems though and it was a slight challenge to learn but lack of documentation was the killer.

I don’t mean to complain but the issue is just a lack of concise information and documentation about how Asterisk works. Digium themselves prefer to link you to 3rd party documentation which will understandably be incomplete.

I figured it out and it seems like a breeze now, but only because I read several different sites before figuring things out, and as I mentioned you will run into inconistent and conflicting information.

My opinion is that Asterisk is a great system but largely undocumentated and there are different features that are implemented in some versions and not others…eg CVS has a announce-periodic flag for the queues.

I’ll give you that Wiki/Tiki (voip-info) is a daunting resource if you’re not familiar with the format. But, if you find something that is incorrect or not covered at voip-info, you are welcome to add or change it. I have made additions there, recently, and will continue to do so.

Now I’m going to sound like a Digium apologist. I should warn that I don’t work for Digium, nor do I know anyone that does. I have no financial stake in Digium, other than the hardware that I have purchased. I reserve the right to be incorrect, and the following is opinion at worst, educated guess at best.

I don’t see any need for Digium to provide “official” documentation; they don’t recognize direct revenue from the sale of Asterisk (at least, not the way that most of us use Asterisk), and the software is more-or-less community written. If I had to guess, I would say that Asterisk is Digium’s “reference platform,” for use of their hardware products; outside of that, they may not care if it works at all. The fact that many Asterisk users are using it as a VoIP platform, in many cases with only an ethernet card and a knock-off Wildcard x100p, only goes to bolster that conclusion.

The documentation is largely community-written - it won’t get better until we make it better. If I had paid for my copy of Asterisk, I could see blaming them for lack of documentation. Now that I’m becoming an experienced user, I have nobody to blame but myself.

hi
thanks to all of you
hope we may all get together to write a short documentation which explains all the features *
bye

Here are some *XX items from the Wiki:

for analog phones (ZAP channel)

*0 Flash external trunk on bridged channel.
*60 Blacklist last caller (if callerid was present) (after 13 Sep 2004)
*67 Disable Caller ID for next outgoing call (per call blocking).
*69 Call return. Dials number of last caller if caller ID was present.
*70 Disable call waiting for the next call or until hangup.
*72 Enable call forwarding.
*73 Cancel call forwarding.
*77 Enable Anonymous Call Rejection
*78 Enable do not disturb.
*79 Disable do not disturb.
*80 Blacklist the caller who called previously (If Caller ID was present) (before 13 Sep 2004)
*82 Enable caller ID on a line with per-line blocking.
*87 Disable Anonymous Call Rejection

[quote=“voipnew”]To be honest nowhere but you might try asteriskdocs.org

My frustration with Asterisk is that it is powerful but Digium does not even provide full documentation and to take full advantage you will either need to pay an expert such as Digium themselves or read, read, read and trial and error because IMHO there is no comprehensive documentation and voip-info is just confusing.

Many features and flags described only work in certain versions of Asterisk and that is not always mentioned either.

If you’re looking for a challenge then Asterisk is it :smile:

p.s. maybe try sipx and other PBXs and let me know if you find them better documented or easier to use[/quote]

Dear voipnew:

I could almost place my signature at the bottom of your posting.

BUT there is a resource that you seem to have overlooked.

There IS an Asterisk book. You may download it or order the physical book. After going around for months, looking for Asterisk documentation, I dowloaded the book. Haven’t read it fully yet, but I still say that the book is required reading if you want to be serious about Asterisk.

-RFH

where could i find the online version of the book?

Damn, you guys are lost.

WIKIPEDIA HAS IT ALL