Using Asterisk to provide order information to customers

I’m interested in using asterisk to provide order information to our customers.

The way I envision the system working would be to have an asterisk server connected to 1-4 extensions on our current Nortel Key system. Then, we could have the auto-attendant transfer the calls to those extensions if they “press 1”. Then, I assume I would be able to use PHP to write the script to receive the PO number, and connect to our database and retrieve the information for that order.

My question is, would this arrangement work? Also, which type of hardware would I need to connect two of my extensions on my Nortel system to the Asterisk server?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Scott Carter
MarCraft, Inc.

[quote=“kerygma_sellers”]I’m interested in using asterisk to provide order information to our customers.

The way I envision the system working would be to have an asterisk server connected to 1-4 extensions on our current Nortel Key system. Then, we could have the auto-attendant transfer the calls to those extensions if they “press 1”. Then, I assume I would be able to use PHP to write the script to receive the PO number, and connect to our database and retrieve the information for that order.

My question is, would this arrangement work?
[/quote]

Yes, this would work, and there is a PHP class library for Asterisk that will be useful for you:

phpagi.sourceforge.net

In fact, according to the intro written by Mark Spencer in the new book written by several others Asterisk was developed for a very similar application. I suggest any new user pick up a copy:

Asterisk - The Future of Telephony

Depends on your Nortel setup, but have a look here:

voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Hardware
digium.com/index.php?menu=pr … y=hardware

Thanks for the reply Muppet. I have since found a wiki page on connecting to legacy equipment, that had the parts I needed to connect an extension from my Nortel system to a fxo port on the * server.