Using a mobil phone as handset, forwarding calls etc

Hi all,

I’ d like to simply check if something is possible or not, without really having to know how to achieve it programmatically (I’ll figure that out).

Suppose you use a mobile phone as a handset to an asterisk pbx. You program the pbx’s number as a shortcut and when you want to call anyone, you simply call the pbx and with DTMF you tell it dial the number. So far so good.

A problem might arise when you are receiving a call and you want to forward: at that moment can you tell Asterisk to put the open channel on hold with DTMF and forward it to another extension? and also get it back when the extension doesn’t answer?

I’m thinking of using a mobile phone as wireless handset to escape from expensive wireless infrastructures.

Thx already,

Bart

I dont see how it would work because when it is calling your cell phone it is just trying connect the call thru the (att/vorizon/tmobile) network.

It would recieve no DTMF tones until its connected.

You could answer the call then call park it with *70 (or whatever extension you have it set at)

ps…please write more clearly on what you are trying to say also, im not 100% sure i know what you are trying to do.

pss…as for the first part i think you are wanting to do disa, but to have it dial your asterisk, then execute more from a press of a cell phone button…hmmm. I dont see how that would be possible either, only way I see it working is just like a basic disa line.

CustomGT,

As I mentionned: you obviously first dial the pbx and THEN use DTMF. It goes without saying that DTMF without an existing connection only produces some uninteresting beeps.

I wasn’t aware of DISA, but this indeed seems to achieve what I want for the outgoing (from mobile phone’s point of view) calls.

What’s left is then the incomming calls that you want to forward. You say call park, but then the calls sits somewhere and you need to call the final destination to instruct them to unpark the call. Nice workaround, but forwarding would be easier of course. Can this be achieved with DTMF commands?

I think you understand what I’m looking for, please do ask If you need more clarification.

Thx,

“What’s left is then the incomming calls that you want to forward. You say call park, but then the calls sits somewhere and you need to call the final destination to instruct them to unpark the call. Nice workaround, but forwarding would be easier of course. Can this be achieved with DTMF commands?”

Im not sure what you are wanting to do here?
Are you wanting for people to call into the pbx, hit 300 for your extension and that ring your cell phone? If thats the case i would buy a Doc-N-Talk and get a spare cell phone of your same carrier, and have the dialplan forward the call through the Doc-N-Talk to your cell phone. This would be free mobile to mobile call. You could of course route it through another pots line also.

I think the word "forward’ that your using is confusing me…

No, what I mean is this: suppose I have an extension connected to the pbx (via iax or sip) and I want to call a mobile phone that is considered a wireless extension, I dial its extension and the pbx forwards the call to the mobile. The person accepts the call but realizes he want s to forward the cal lto another internal extension. The only way I see that happening is through DTMF stuff.

[quote=“bcnx”]No, what I mean is this: suppose I have an extension connected to the pbx (via iax or sip)///YOU MEAN YOU HAVE A PHYSICAL SIP PHONE WITH AN EXTENSION SETUP IN SIP.CONF?.///
and I want to call a mobile phone that is considered a wireless extension,///YOU MEAN YOU HAVE AN EXTENSION IN YOUR DIALPLAN THAT CALLS THE X-XXX-XXX-XXXX MOBILE NUMBER AUTOMATICALLY?////
I dial its extension and the pbx forwards the call to the mobile.//THROUGH A POTS LINE I ASSUME//
The person accepts the call but realizes he wants to forward the cal lto another internal extension. The only way I see that happening is through DTMF stuff.[/quote]

Are you meaning since your cell doesnt have a transfer button like sip phones do, you want to press #88 or something instead…
voip-info.org/wiki/view/PBX+CallTransfer

i got this from the above url:
Making supervised transfer work
by Jaime A Lopez Sollano on Wednesday 06 of September, 2006 [18:04:59]
I have found that in order for supervised (or blind, or any other feature that can be configured in /etc/asterisk/features.conf) to work, one has to

include => featuremap

in your extensions.conf file

by aaaaal on Monday 21 of August, 2006 [04:21:13]

in my features.conf

featuremap
blindxfer => #1 ; Blind transfer
disconnect => *0 ; Disconnect
;automon => *1 ; One Touch Record
atxfer => *2 ; Attended transfer

and I set canreinvite=no

let me know if you understand that.

basicly check out your features.conf, set transfer to #X, then include => featuremap in your extensions.conf

that is what i am getting from that…

CustomGT,

yes, I’m talking about a physical SIP phone on the inside, and yes, there’s an extension dialing the mobile number automatically. Providers in Belgium have formula’s where one can call for “free” to mobile phones for a fixed price per month. Hence the idea of using mobile phones as wireless extensions.

The attented trasnfer stuff seems to do what I want, thank you. I just hope it works, better test it first before ordering any hardware.

thanks again,

B.

Any update on if it worked or not?

I won’t be able to test for some time: Asterisk is not hooked up to PSTN, it needs to be linked to our existing pbx first but the supllier can’t do this before the next two weeks or something.

I’m trying to get a SIP trunk working however.