Upgrade Custom Asterisk 1.8.11 to 15

Hello,

Just a little background: I am apart of a program that uses Asterisks, version 1.8.11, and they are worried about security vulnerabilities. To resolve the vulnerabilities, they’d like to upgrade to the most recent version (15) of Asterisks. Their current Asterisks has a modified chan_sip,c and it also has other custom channels (chan_*.c) added to it. There is also a module added to it that does some custom parsing of data and communication to another subsystem. I need some advice and expertise from folks that know more about Asterisks than me. Would you say an upgrade is feasible/doable within a reasonable amount of time?

Apologies for the vagueness, but I’m not sure what else to add to the question. If you think of something that can help add substance and understanding to the question, please don’t hesitate to respond.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Please and thanks in advance.
kerrutt

There is no real concrete answer that is possible. It all depends on what was done, how, how things are interacting with the system, etc. I’d expect it would take a long time though - Asterisk has substantially changed.

I figured and completely understand. Wish I had more information than what’s given in my question. The most that I could add is this: The only part of asterisks that was really modified was the chan_sip channel, and we’d have to delve into our changes, and make those updates to the new chan_sip. But for the custom channels and modules that were added, I would say it wouldn’t be hard to “register” these with Asterisks, judging by the old implementation, unless that process for adding channels and modules has changed significantly. Would this statement be accurate or would you say its much more complicated than that?

Channel callbacks have likely changed, the creation of Asterisk frames has changed, the registration of modules has changed if I recall.

I see. Thanks for the information and advice.