Unable to write voicemails

I inherited an asterisk system from a previous tech and this is my first go around with it.

From what I can see the system is set up to run under a user called asterisk and the permission for the voicemail paths are set correctly.

But when I attempt to record a voicemail I get the following error.

WARNING[13112][C-00000000]: file.c:1226 ast_writefile: Unable to open file /tmp/record/_var_spool_asterisk_voicemail_default_111_tmp_1FZ1GC.WAV: No such file or directory

– x=0, open writing: /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/111/tmp/1FZ1GC format: wav49, (nil)

WARNING[13112][C-00000000]: app.c:1328 __ast_play_and_record: Error creating writestream ‘/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/111/tmp/1FZ1GC’, format ‘wav49’

I also noticed the rest of the system appears to use the “ulaw” format. Could this be an issue with an unsupported audio format?

This seemed to start happening after I chnaged both the root password and the password for the user asterisk. Do I have to make any changes to the asterisk configuration after changing user passwords?

This is not how a codec problem would present. wav49 is the GSM codec in a Microsoft WAV wrapper.

I have a new development that may or may not be related.

If I run asterisk -c and watch it run I see the occasional error db.c:329 ast_db_put: Couldn’t execute statement: database is locked.

Not that anybody is reading this but I figure it out. For some reason my /tmp/records folder was missing. Created the folder and everything started working.