Unable to configure voicemail

Any help would be appreicated. I’m stumped (Not a hard thing to do, fyi).

So I’m brand new the the asterisk system and a novice linux user. I’ve tried to enable a specific extensions voicemail by going into voicemail.conf and removing the semi colon from that line. The user info is there and everything seems to be setup correctly. After going into the CLI and doing a ‘voicemail reload’ the voicemail doesnt show up under ‘voicemail show users’. I’ve tried monkeying around with various config files regarding this extension but nothing seems to work. Other users voicemails work fine, but for some reason this one doesnt.

asterisk 1.6.2.20

PS. on an unrelated note. Onec entering ‘Core Show Calls’, how do I turn it off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello.

Have you checked this out? wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … Mail+Boxes

I’m not sure if we need to copy-paste the same here.

Just configure users in voicemail.conf (At least ‘mailbox=>pin,full name’ is enough, e.g. 1234 => 3865,John Doe).

Add the ability to the caller to leave a message with the ‘VoiceMail’ application:

exten => 6002,1,Dial(SIP/demo-bob,20)
   same => n,VoiceMail(${EXTEN}@vm-demo,u)

And finally create an extension for checking VM:

exten => 6500,1,Answer(500)
exten => 6500,n,VoiceMailMain(@vm-demo)

Later you may learn about ‘VoiceMail’ application what file to play to the caller depending on DIALSTATUS.

Are you sure about it?
‘core chow calls’ just shows the current active calls, once. It does not need to be turned off.

Thank you for your response. I don’t think I’ve enabled the ability to leave a message as you pointed out. This probably explains why when I call this extension and it rings for a while, I dont get asked to leave a message… but where do I add this? The documentation you linked me too says to add it into extensons.conf, but I dont see any other existing working voicemail extensions in this conf file, and I’d like to keep this data together. Is there perhaps somewhere else I add this to?

Seperate issue -
After I typed ‘core show call’ I now get information displayed in the CLI everytime someone on the network receives or places a call. How do I stop this?

What do you mean under “where do I add this”?
You need to add lines with VoiceMail application into the file where you have dialplan. It’s extensions.conf by default.

You need to add a line with VoiceMail next after Dial command. Like in the example.

You need to add some extension for checking voicemail, it must be in the same context as other extensions about which we’re talking. It does not matter if it will be up or down, Asterisk dialplan parser will build the order itself. Just be sure that it’s in the same context.

Create a backup of original configuration files and create a new clear extensions.conf with only what you need.

[quote=“jayaye”]Seperate issue -
After I typed ‘core show call’ I now get information displayed in the CLI everytime someone on the network receives or places a call. How do I stop this?[/quote]
It’s not ‘core show calls’. It’s logger.

In Asterisk CLI:
logger mute - to mute/unmute console logger - this is what you’re talking about
core set verbose 1 - to see only ERRORS and WARNINGS (or maybe only errors, don’t remember exactly)
core set verbose 3 - you’ll see execution of each dialplan application, as I remember
core set verbose …
core set verbose 10 - to see much enough information

Use up and down arrows and tab.

[quote=“Lexus45”]What do you mean under “where do I add this”?
You need to add lines with VoiceMail application into the file where you have dialplan. It’s extensions.conf by default.

You need to add a line with VoiceMail next after Dial command. Like in the example.

[/quote]

Ahhh, I believe this is the source of my confusion. I was using vim to edit voicemail.conf directly, but youre saying I need to run an app called VoiceMail? Is this something I run from the CLI?

VoiceMail is an application you call from extensions.conf.

I found the error guys. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to help. The problem was a missing semicolon at the beginning of voicemail.conf. Prior to my editing it, it hadnt been opened in several months so the error was there for a long time, so I had no idea it was missing. Everytime i ‘voicemail reload’ id just assumed it would’ve thrown out an error message if it wasnt following through.

Again, thanks for the help