Two questions from an Asterisk n00b

I have a couple of Asterisk questions. Tonight, I will be setting up CentOS 5, Asterisk and FreePBX.

1. I have a single voice line, and a single fax line coming into my business. With an external to internal call taking place (the single voice line is in use), can an internal to internal call take place (i.e. extension to extension)?

2. If I wanted to incorporate Asterfax into Asterisk, that would require getting my fax line into Asterisk. To do so, would I need to add a second ATA (connecting the fax line to the network), or will one ATA (in my case - Sipura 3000) handle two lines? According to the product’s page (http://www.sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm) it says “Service Lines: 2” (<< in chart form). Does that mean that it can handle two lines simultaneously via both lines being on one rj11 plug in the FXO jack?

1. I have a single voice line, and a single fax line coming into my >business. With an external to internal call taking place (the single voice >line is in use), can an internal to internal call take place (i.e. extension >to extension)?

Yes, you can have lots of folks chatting extension to extension

1. If I wanted to incorporate Asterfax into Asterisk, that would require >getting my fax line into Asterisk. To do so, would I need to add a second >ATA (connecting the fax line to the network), or will one ATA (in my >case - Sipura 3000) handle two lines? According to the product’s page
    (sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm) it says “Service Lines: >2” (<< in chart form). Does that mean that it can handle two lines >simultaneously via both lines being on one rj11/rj14 plug in the FXO jack?

I don’t knwo your hardware, but the last FXS box I got did two lines.

Question: Are you in the US and do you have a broadband connection?

Asterisk gets much more “fun” when you start using an IP based provider. You can test the waters for as little as $10. Drop me a PM if you are interested and I will point you to the folks I use.

Our business is in the US (Alabama) and we have a T1 connection, but I can’t get permission to cart off our local number to another service provider (voip provider).

Thanks for the info. Just to make sure I’m clear, you are saying that the last ATA you got supported two lines on the single RJ-11 FXO (not FXS) jack?

The FXO boxes I use are 8 port SIP units. 8 RJ11’s for copper in and one RJ45 for ethernet out.

I thought you where talking about an FXS box, I use them once in a while for some legecy piece that people do not want to part with. The last one I got did two lines in the one box. Two rj11’s and one rj45.

BTW, I would not port your number off to another provider. I would buy some credit with anothe provider and test the waters. If for nothing else it is nice to never run out of outgoing lines. It allows you to do all kinds of cool stuff.

One example is I have an 800 number that we use for internal use only. It has a handful of documented extensions for the IT group in the IVR. Nothing too cool. What is cool is that if you add 100 to the extensions, it calls us on our cell’s and if you add 200 it calls us at our houses.

Knid of neat when you have offices all over the world and you want to get ahold of somebody from any given place. All you need to do is remember the 800 number.

This also makes the find me much more possible too. It is too easy to clog up all of your lines with in and back out traffic. The IP based stuff gets around all of that. And with VERY modest monthly fees, and pretty modest per minute fees, you for the most part only pay for what you use.

After a few months with an IP based provider the folks you work for may feel a whole lot different.