Trouble with Cisco 79xx and Polycom Phones

This question has probably already been addressed and I feel like a total newb posting it but here goes:

I am in charge of deploying an Asterisk solution at my job and have pretty much everything sorted out. The two Cisco 7960 and one Polycom phone that we have can dial internal extensions, whether the extension is a physical phone or a soft-phone, without any problems. The three SIP phones ring when their extension is dialed from our outside line at the main menu.

The problem comes in when I attempt to dial an external line from either the Cisco or Polycom phone. I have the dialing rule setup such that one pattern matches _9NXXXXXX. - When I dial out from a soft-phone such as XLite the Asterisk server picks up the first available Zap channel and dials the number sans 9, however, when I attempt to dial out from either the Cisco or Polycom phones I get the “Reorder” tone.

I’ve been driving myself up a wall trying to find if I’m missing some configuration setting and having worked on many projects in the past I have a feeling it’s something right in front of my face.

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated and any .conf files can be provided if needed.

Hi,

I don’t know the Cisco phone at all but I know the Polycom Soundpoint very well. You need to set the Digit Map setting found under the sip option on the phone web interface to something like the following:-

[9]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|[1-8]xxx|[*]xxxx

I have this and it works fine.

Thanks

Best Regards

Geoff

[quote=“bonebasher”]Hi,

I don’t know the Cisco phone at all but I know the Polycom Soundpoint very well. You need to set the Digit Map setting found under the sip option on the phone web interface to something like the following:-

[9]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|[1-8]xxx|[*]xxxx

I have this and it works fine.

Thanks

Best Regards

Geoff[/quote]

Geoff,

Thank you very much. This did indeed get the Polycom online with the ability to dialout. I’ll tinker around with the Digit Map so I can eliminate the need to dial the area code on local calls but now all I need to do is figure out how to get the Cisco phones to work.

I knew it was something totally stupid and right in front of me.

I didn’t enable NAT on the Cisco 7960 phones. They dial out perfectly now.

Thanks all, even if you just looked :smile:

so that you don’t have to dial the area code for local calls you should put something like the following in the outside context in extensions.conf:-

exten => _992XXXXXX,1,Dial(SIP/to_server/023${EXTEN:1})

in the above my local area code is 023 and I am removing the 9 that is dialled by the user to access an outside line.

Hope this helps.