Cisco 7945G phone feature with asterisk

We have deployed a bunch of Cisco phones (mainly 7945G - SIP) with Asterisk. They working fine but some drawbacks. The issue we are dealing is in the following scenario.

Say you pick up your phone and dial an extension. Only the sip extension number is displayed on the LCD of the calling phone. How can we match the extension with name?? I know this can be achieved if you have an address book and call a number from that address book, the LCD automatically displays the called name and number. The problem with the Cisco phones is that they don’t have address books. So my question is can we implement this feature using Dialplan functions/programming??

thanks

You need Asterisk 1.8 to support updating caller information mid-call.

I don’t know if that is sufficient, though.

Have the same problem
Will play with dialplan and get back, hopefully someone else has tested this before.
Thanks

[quote=“david55”]You need Asterisk 1.8 to support updating caller information mid-call.

I don’t know if that is sufficient, though.[/quote]

Sadly, not all phones seem to provide support for this. I haven’t tested it against any Cisco phones, just Snom (works), Polycom (works) and Grandstream (doesn’t work) models.

Cheers.