Totally Confused

Hi,
I’m really confused with all this about this so great open source software called Asterisk. It appears to be something like a big traditional telephone line panel with a bunch of cables, except that in reality is just a software, correct!? What is a shame and got me all confused is:

1. Does not let u know if it can be installed on any other OS like OpenSuse 10.2!? (wich is already on my PC)
  2. Do i need any other Hardware ( e.g Modem ) or what type? Note: I already got the part of the Mainboard, CPU, RAm, HDD, Power Supply clear.
  3. How many lines (Telephone Lines) do i need to get a simple Asterisk running?
  4. Can i just used the line i have!? or do i need to call the Telephone Company and ask for another line!?

You see, my scope of work is very simple (just in case u din’t get me, no offense please):
Clients call to the main number 787 555-1234 > A simple Welcome> for Menu Press # 1:
MENU:
* FOR STATUS OF YOUR COMPUTER> PRESS # 2
* TALK TO A PC TECHNICIAN> PRESS # 3 (NOTE: I WANT “ASTERISK” TO TRASNFER THE CALL TO MY CELL PHONE AFTER 4-5 RINGS. (i WONDER IF IS GONNA BE ANY CHARGE’S TO MY REGULAR PHONE BILL, NOT THE CELL PHONE)
* FOR QUOTES ON NETWORKS> PRESS # 4 > LEVE A VIOCE MESSAGE WITH YOUR NUMBER AND COMPLEATE NAME.
* FOR ALL REALTED TO COMPUTERS> PRESS # 5 LEAVE A VIOCE MESSAGE WITH YOUR NUMBER AND COMPLEATE NAME.

I think is very well explain. Note that i’m totally new to this and so is Linux, i also know there is alot to read. But the thing is the in one place say’s somethin and in others something else. I would greatly appreciate any help i can get. My emial is 98539769@prtc.net.

[quote=“gabrielc”]It appears to be something like a big traditional telephone line panel with a bunch of cables, except that in reality is just a software, correct!?
[/quote]
Not completely. Yes. Asterisk is a software. But Asterisk can be very different things to different people - or rather, different applications they require. That’s probably why you are seeing different things from different places. But a good place to start is the free O’Reilly book. And a good reference site is voip-info.org.

Have to dispell one myth, though. Although you can use Asterisk “like a big traditional telephone line panel with a bunch of cables,” the vast majority of Asterisk users don’t use it that way.

No doubt. Nearly any Linux flavour will do.

Depends a lot on your application. If you don’t want to switch your phone company (looks like you are using a POTS line), yes, you’ll need additional hardware, such as a “MODEM” in a special class known as X100P and clones. (Just look it up.) That may not be the best hardware for you, however, and definitely not a suitable hardware if you also want to use your existing phone set.

Additionally, to “transfer to your cell phone” with Asterisk will require additional stuff that you may not already have, such as a second line and additional additional hardware for that. X100P/clone is mostly unsuitable.

On the other hand, if you don’t care to keep your POTS line, you may not need any additional hardware at all.

How about 0? Or, if you follow what I suggested above, the answer is 0-2. Yes, if you don’t care about POTS line, you can sign up a VoIP provider and do it all. Of course, the application you described already require you to have 2 concurrent calls, so this provider will have to allow you to do this. (The concept of “line” is not quite valid in VoIP.)

Is this the same question as above?

BTW, if you decide to go with a traditional telephone company (and we have established that you must have 2 traditional lines), you would be better off replacing your current line with a basic rate ISDN (BRI). The cost is about the same as subscribing to 2 POTS lines (assuming you are paying business rate), quality much better. (Hardware cost could be lower, too.) Bewarned that if you are in the U.S., finding the right department to subscribe to BRI could be a little challenge - or so I heard.

If sorting through information about Asterisk is too daunting, and if your main purpose is to take care of your other business (rather than learning more about telephony), you may try to find a service provider that can do this for you. I have read about providers that specialize in SMB so they may have a very flexible fee structure. Most likely they are using VoIP but this makes little difference to you.

OK If you are not a “linux” person then skip Suse.

If you have not installed and played with Asterisk then maybe you should just start with a VMware version.

Just grab a DID from someone like Vitelity, and setup a box.
Use call forwarding on the current POTS to forward the calls to your VOIP DID learn how it all works.

The cards you will need to put in the box will cost over 250.00 bucks for two FXO ports, and using the current phones you have may or may not be cost effective.

Asterisk is “FREE” but moving to it CAN cost a bundle (money and time).

Hi Valley,
Let me be a bit more clear here about my business; I’m a self Tech, i work at home and the line or ADSL sub i have is the home rate (1 meg). The router is a Thomson Speed Touch 780 WL, it has a VoIP port to connect a Telephone. So in other words, i already have a telephone line and on it the ADSL (as is supposed to). What excatly can i do with Asterisk and VoIP, cause now i’m more confused, no tradinional lines are need it if i chose VoIP, but if not i need 2 additional lines>>??? Additional, what is really POST?, the regular phone that i’m using? or what? What really do i need to transfer the calls to my cell phone? etc etc etc? i want to learn and do it my self, besides it be something new to offer the people i see, if u know what i mean.

Thanks in advanced Valley and any others that would paicintly explain to me this whole concept or technology. I’m so egle to do it!!!

Hi Valley,
Something new… I call my Telephone Company Provider to discuss this about the Asterisk and the VoIP thing concept, and what do they have to offer me, and check this out:

1. VoIP activation is $5.00> No Monthly fee
  2. I buy an additional tradional phone and conect that to the Thompson SpeedTouch 780 WL and i get:
    a. Caller ID
    b. Picture Caller ID
    c. Call Waiting
    d. Voice Mail
    e. Transfer Call’s, etc etc etc.

Now i try to explain the guy what type of work i do, and The concept that i’m trying to get running;

SCOPE OF WORK***

Clients call to the main number 787 555-1234 > A simple Welcome> for Menu Press # 1:
MENU:

• FOR STATUS OF YOUR COMPUTER> PRESS # 2
  • TALK TO A PC TECHNICIAN> PRESS # 3 (NOTE: I WANT “ASTERISK” TO TRASNFER THE CALL TO MY CELL PHONE AFTER 4-5 RINGS. (i WONDER IF IS GONNA BE ANY CHARGE’S TO MY REGULAR PHONE BILL, NOT THE CELL PHONE)
  • FOR QUOTES ON NETWORKS> PRESS # 4 > LEVE A VIOCE MESSAGE WITH YOUR NUMBER AND COMPLEATE NAME.
  • FOR ALL REALTED TO COMPUTERS> PRESS # 5 LEAVE A VIOCE MESSAGE WITH YOUR NUMBER AND COMPLEATE NAME.

The idea is to, if i’m at the office, know what’s the purpose of the call and not to waist to much time on the phone letting the custome know what ever is the status or what ever is. You see the more u r in the phone, the less money u make. Now, since i have all those fetures if i get connected with the VoIP with the TPC, how can i make Asterisk working here and not at the TPC servers? Please help me on this. Thanks in advanced.