Tandem Switch Question

Hello,

I had posted in the the wrong forum, so I apologize for cross posting.

My Voip provider (thinktel.ca) has requested we install a proxy server for aggregating our sip trunks.
I have used asterisk for some time with freepbx as my ui. We now have several asterisk servers in different locations and I would like to aggregate my sip traffic to save money.

I have been told I am talking about a tandem switch configuration where I can configure trunks on my proxy with my provider and direct inbound and accepting outbound from my remote asterisk servers? I want to make sure I can keep track of call use and would prefer to use the proxy for this if possible. Does anyone have any documentation on this type of setup, or should I be looking to some other software?

Thank you

http://asipto.com/u/c

Configure one Asterisk as the interface point. Configure all the other Asterisks as though that Asterisk was their SIP provider, but using your VPN addresses (I hope you have a unified VPN!).

Configure the others as peers on the hub. On the hub, use a very short dialiplan - one line may be enough, to forward non-local calls to the other nodes. Having discrete extension number ranges will make this less of a hassle.

Thank you for your help. I am going through the Kamailio Knowledge Base and it’s a serious learning curve for me. I’ll read up on the Asterisk configurations as I probably have a much better chance of having it running in the next week.

Do you know of any good examples or documents on people who have configured their Asterisk to be a tandem switch?

Regards,