[SOLVED] Configuring Cisco 7960 VOIP Phones for Asterisk

I’ve purchased two Cisco 7960 phones.

Power-on and they find the VLAN and then sit at “Configuring IP”

I’m not certain if they even find my Asterisk server, I have no idea how to check that. Has anyone tried Cisco phones with this software?

Oh, I also havn’t even tried any other hard phones, so I have no idea if any of the settings are right. My Asterisk system does work for soft phones though…

[quote=“jshoenberger”]I’ve purchased two Cisco 7960 phones.

Power-on and they find the VLAN and then sit at “Configuring IP”

I’m not certain if they even find my Asterisk server, I have no idea how to check that. Has anyone tried Cisco phones with this software?

Oh, I also havn’t even tried any other hard phones, so I have no idea if any of the settings are right. My Asterisk system does work for soft phones though…[/quote]

if it is staying at configuring ip do you have your dhcp server setup properly?

Quite sure, in the network status section of the cisco phones it recognizes all the proper servers (DHCP, DNS, … )

Actually, since I have posted I have figured out the solution, so mark this one as solved.

Cisco phones don’t come with SIP enabled and you must be a registered user on www.cisco.com in order to download the necessary software update for the phones.

The software update must be transfered over TFTP on phone boot up.

I’m afraid I don’t have the link handy, I left it on my desk at work. I will respond tomorrow with direct link to the files that are required.