Simply accepting and recording incoming connection to modem

Hello,

I have Asterisk installed on my (K)Ubuntu Breezy and I have just ONE thing I want to get running.

My modem is connected to a phone line and I want to be able to call to it, and I want Asterisk to accept my call and record it.

That would be a nice start, I think.

But I have absolutely NO CLUE what so ever, where to start. I can’t find the dialplan, allthough, if I had found it, I wouldn’t know what to do with it.

Where do I start?

where do you start ? by abandoning that idea until you get hardware that Asterisk and Zaptel support unfortunately.

you have lots of options for interfacing a single POTS line with Asterisk, with internal PCI cards (US$20 > US$1000+), ATAs (from about US$80 ?), media gateways (US$???).

it sounds like you need to do some reading first though, before you start anything. the sticky at the top of the forum has the links you need.

if the number on your POTS line isn’t crucial to this venture, you may want to consider using an external VoIP provider, then use either SIP or IAX to trunk it into your box. no more hardware requirement.

[quote=“baconbuttie”]where do you start ? by abandoning that idea until you get hardware that Asterisk and Zaptel support unfortunately.[/quote]You can’t possibly be serious.

Don’t Asterisk support communicating through a modem? Doesn’t it just come up as a tty device in /dev/tty*** ?

[quote]you have lots of options for interfacing a single POTS line with Asterisk, with internal PCI cards (US$20 > US$1000+), ATAs (from about US$80 ?), media gateways (US$???).[/quote]That’s not an option for the moment.

[quote]it sounds like you need to do some reading first though, before you start anything. the sticky at the top of the forum has the links you need.[/quote]I sure do. And I will. I just wanted to get a line up first, so that I could start tweaking something that just worked™.

[quote]if the number on your POTS line isn’t crucial to this venture, you may want to consider using an external VoIP provider, then use either SIP or IAX to trunk it into your box. no more hardware requirement.[/quote]As I said, I have an analog line in and I connected it to my modem. I want to make a phonecall to my box.

Not possible?

unless you’re one of the few people that have a “modem” that Asterisk can use voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … 100P+clone
then i’m still on “no” … sorry