Sending SMS from Asterisk server to any mobile

Hi,

I am using Asterisk version 1.6.2.0. I need to send SMS from my asterisk server to any mobile phone.
a) How is this possible?
b) Do I need to download any application for this to my asterisk server. Please advice.

It is possible to do it, depending on your budget and SMS volume.

Solution #1 - Peer up a plain bluetooth capable phone to Asterisk using a bluetooth USB dongle + chan_mobile + the Mobile SMS command. Good for low volumes.

Solution #2 - Obtain an Asterisk GSM PCI card + service SIM. Use the Asterisk’s SMS application to send & receive SMS data. Better for medium to high volumes.

Hi

Or just use an smsc and send them via http using curl or use one of teh sms applications that intergrate with Asterisk such as fastsms to send direct from the dialplan

HI,
For FastSMS i need to sign up for it with subscription. Is it possible to send SMS from asterisk through Kannel with no cost involved.I think Kannel is open source SMS gateway,so it must be free. Is this possible to do?Please advice

Kannel may be free, but the services of the SMS Centre are not. A quick look at the documentation indicates that you must either connect it directly to an operator’s SMS Centre, for which they will surely charge, or you must connect it to a mobile phone, which will then send chargeable SMS messages.

Hi,

I am trying to use the command smsq to send sms from asterisk server.I went through some of the details on the web,but I am not quite clear about how it exactly works.I am from India.I am using Asterisk,1.6.2.0.

1.Please let me know how exactly the flow of this command works.
2.What equipment is required to test this, apart from asterisk server PC and a GSM mobile phone.(I have Nokia 5233 and Samsung Corby plus)?
3.Could you let me know the Incoming/Outgoing SMSC numbers here?
Thanks in advance.

Most of the details you want are here voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+Sms

[quote=“shruthi_deepak”]3.Could you let me know the Incoming/Outgoing SMSC numbers here?
[/quote]
It’s quite possible that India doesn’t have a landline SMS service.

The outgoing SMSC number for mobile originated SMS is normally in the SIM. As far as I know, the incoming centre only exists for the landline implementation, and isn’t needed for sending.

HI,
I am installing the popt library,but i get errors as below
sudo apt-get install libpopt-dev

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libpopt-dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
Need to get 50.3kB of archives.
After this operation, 164kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
libpopt-dev
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Err 10.2.8.230/ubuntu/ lucid/main libpopt-dev 1.15-1
407 Proxy Authentication Required
Failed to fetch 10.2.8.230/ubuntu/pool/main/p/po … _amd64.deb 407 Proxy Authentication Required
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

My source.list file is as below,
deb archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid multiverse universe

Please tell me how to get rid of this error
Do I need to do some configuration on my Ubuntu for sudo apt get install to work?