Ring tone, is it a function of asterisk or the soft phone?

Hi,

I am using Windows Messenger as the SIP softphone to asterisk, when I dialing out, I can see the “ringing…” message there but hear no ring tone. The same when someone is dialing in(got a popup instead).

Is this supposed to be a feature of Windows Messenger(or whatever soft phone) and if yes, is there anyway to make it more like a normal phone(ringing for incoming and ring tone for outgoing). If not, can I set asterisk to behave like that or I may need a better soft phone.

thanks for any help in advance.

YOu can try the |r option in the dial string:

exten=> _9.,1,Dial(tech/number,45,r)

thanks for the reply, I have tried that yet I still can’t hear any ringing in Windows Messenger. I think it is the problem of it, may be a better soft phone would help.

to my knowledge, most software based ‘phones’ ringtones are local - they are not provided by the server, the server just signals the phone to ring.

the reason i suspect this is that we use eyebeam for our softphone, and the ringtones are incredibly loud - we have asked about getting them changed, and they are ‘built-in’ to the phone. since other phones (both hard and soft) ring in different tones, i would assume it’s more of a ringing ‘signal’ and it’s up to the end device to decide how to handle it.

then again, i might need more coffee…

[quote=“whoiswes”]to my knowledge, most software based ‘phones’ ringtones are local - they are not provided by the server, the server just signals the phone to ring.

the reason i suspect this is that we use eyebeam for our softphone, and the ringtones are incredibly loud - we have asked about getting them changed, and they are ‘built-in’ to the phone. since other phones (both hard and soft) ring in different tones, i would assume it’s more of a ringing ‘signal’ and it’s up to the end device to decide how to handle it.

then again, i might need more coffee…[/quote]

thanks, that is my thought too. However, then I remember now the cell phone industry sell feature like personalized ring tone(for the caller, so they can hear music instead of ring), I begin to wonder if it is both a client and/or switch feature.

For the callee, I think it is a phone feature, just like we can setup different ring on a cell phone.

even if that is the case, it’s still entirely client side…the provider has nothing to do with your custom ringtone, it’s entirely the phone. the provider just sells you the tone (and may deliver it to your phone) - but they don’t send a different ‘ring’ signal based on a custom ringtone.

at least that’s my understanding…i’d assume the same is happening here.

That is correct. There is no tone at all any provider provides.

Provider just provide STATES.
And the client device is generating tones depending on these states.
Thats why we have regional setting in our devices, even asterisk has them (see indications.conf).
Makes sense, if you think about long distance calls: You dont want to hear the busy tone from india… hehehe

Imagine of it like the Provider doesnt actually “plays” a busytone, he just tells your device: “The line is busy. Thats all i can tell you, dear device. Do whatever you want now, with that info. Or die in a fire” :stuck_out_tongue:

That is actually done with/by the (see other topic) “Pri_Cause”.