[resolved w/a hack] Asterisk voicemail with g729 passthrough

Hello,

I am trying to get asterisk voicemail working with g729 codec. According to the README and limited info in the sample config files I shouldnt need to buy licenses as long as no transcoding is required. Currently I have a cisco 7960 setup to originate the call into asterisk and I have “disallow=all & allow=g729” in the sip.conf file. I have “format=g729” in voicemail.conf and I even have the voice prompts recorded in g729 and everything works up until the voicemail goes to record the file. What is interesting is that I get the following debug:

– x=0, open writing: /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/0095/INBOX/msg0000 format: g729, 0x95b5aa8
Dec 28 15:24:43 WARNING[3747]: channel.c:2318 set_format: Unable to find a codec translation path from g729 to slin
Dec 28 15:24:43 WARNING[3747]: app.c:630 ast_play_and_record: Unable to set to linear mode, giving up

The full sip debug can be found:

pastebin.ca/35106

Now I would think that if there was an issue with the call It would error at the line where it indicates voicemail writing to disk, instead of at the channel capabilities.

Note: I have purchased g729 licenses, but they are not installed on the particular (test) machine i am trying to set this up on.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.
-chris

From what I understand and see, if the call is terminating on the Asterisk box (ie, Voicemail) you need a license for g729. Passthrough only applies if the call is passing through the Asterisk Box (ie, Phone registered on the asterisk box using g729 passes through asterisk and to a voip provider at g729). you also need a license if asterisk is doing any transcoding from g729.

Licenses should not be required so long as transcoding is not needed. In my case calls originate g729 from a cisco 7960 and enter asterisk g729 and enter app voicemail g729 (which is configured format=g729) and recorded to a file witch is in g729 format.

This should still fall withing the “passthrough” model and not require a g729 license.

thanks,
-chris

I am not so sure if that is the case, and your experience would seem to indicate it does not work.

Through some recruited expertise found on #asterisk thanks to Qwell, I was able to make this work through a “Hack”. By setting “maxsilence=0” in the voicemail.conf file. This appearently removes slin as an able protocol since slin requires silence detection.

Voicemail g729 recording and listening is now working great.

Thanks again Qwell!!

-chris

[quote=“element”]Licenses should not be required so long as transcoding is not needed. In my case calls originate g729 from a cisco 7960 and enter asterisk g729 and enter app voicemail g729 (which is configured format=g729) and recorded to a file witch is in g729 format.

This should still fall withing the “passthrough” model and not require a g729 license.[/quote]
There are only 3 formats supported by Asterisk voicemail: gsm, wav49 and wav. In the sample voicemail.conf, there’s also an option for g723sf, but according to this page it doesn’t work:

voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?pag … email.conf

Setting format to g729 won’t work either - as you’ve discovered. To do voicemail with g729 you need a codec - and therefore a licence.

WillKemp,

Thank you for your response- I have found a work arround which makes it work, please see my response above- setting maxsilence=0 in voicemail.conf fixes the problem.

-chris

I was writing my response while you were writing your last message!

I’m glad you found a workaround for that. I wish you’d found it a week ago, though - it would have saved me buying a g729 codec so i could do voicemail on my laptop! :wink:

I found a neat solution I wanted to share:

After recording voicemails in g729 I needed a way to play them back when they were emailed to me as attachments, I found this plugin/app for windows:

sourceforge.net/projects/gplayer

It decodes the .g729 file and launches Windows Media Player or Winamp and will play the decodec .g729 voicemail file, very handy.

If someone has alternatives, or options for Linux and wouldnt mind sharing I would appreciate it, thanks.