Remotely install and customize

Here’s a newbie Q:

I want to switch our office system to Asterisk, can I have a developer remotely install and customize it? (this is not a job offer yet, I just need to know if it’s possible for now)
We have about 20 stations (2 fax stations).
I would also like to integrate VoIP (Skype) and make it all work together.
Is that possible?
What hardware do I need other than Linux connected to the internet and a phone line?

Thanks,
Joel

Q.
can I have a developer remotely install and customize it?
A.
Yes if you have Linux running and can give them access to it.

Q.
Is that possible?
A.
You can integrate a VOIP service provider and make it all work( I am not sure abut skype)

Q.
What hardware do I need other than Linux connected to the internet and a phone line?
A. Need more information; maybe nothing else depends what you want to do.

;maybe some of these
-VOIP Handsets
-ATA
-Internal fxo/fxs card

Thanks!

Q.
Is that possible?
A.
In Google, type: skype asterisk

Thanks,

I guess there’s no free solution…

hi,

As for now forget skype+asterisk
But there are other solutions…softphones, voip providers with better rates than skype, just search and google.

cheers
smaikol

Thanks,
but shouldn’t you aim to work with the most popular VoIP provider?

popular does not mean best :wink:)

skype also use speex as main codec so it’s not so comfortable…i prefer using
iax provider for asterisk they also give me dnd numbers and chep voip rate
all specifically for asterisk…

smaikol

smaikol,
excuse my ignorance, but lets say that I use Skype and I want to call your PBX, is that possible, or my only way to reach your system (other than installing the same VoIP system you’re using) is through a land line?

Thanks,
Joel

ofcourse it’s possible, in different ways.

1 your skype call is a skypout calls(with voip rates) to my asterisk did number(a voip one too)

2 your skype call is a totally voip call directed to my asterisk pbx configured to work with skype

3 your call is a skype call and i have my smartphone with skype client and asterisk client (similar to a gateway, i’m not sure it’s possible but i read something about it) and it turn the call to my asterisk extension totally free

4 others…not involving skype…

more or less whatever you want is possible…it’s just a matter of the best choice for you, your job, your customers, your needs, and qualitiy!

cheers again!
smaikol

So, do you have to configure your Asterisk box to accept Skype in particular or VoIP in general?

Well

for sure you have to configure you Asterisk box to accept skype calls, but also you have to configure for others, or better, to configure your services, like ivr, dialplan, queue, and trunk to voip provider for asterisk.

The fact is that asterisk is not made for skype so you have to make quiet a long job to make it works with skype and the results, in my experiences, are not very good.

smaikol

smaikol,

Thanks a lot!
I really appreciate it.

Joel